Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Headers

I hae read alot of bad things about these Headers on this website ..... From what i have seen they prvide great power gains...in the March 2004 issue of GMHTP they threw a set of these on WITH Cats a loudmouth and the slp Y pipe ... They got 37HP & 34 LB.FT of torque to the wheels on a stock A4 .... I would say those are some pretty stout power gains no??? iam considering these for myself !
Old 01-09-2004, 03:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider that they also put on a lm exhaust and ls6 intake to make that power...the ls6 intake alone has been tested for like 12-18hp...with how low they hang and now its down to maybe 25-18hp gain for the headers tops its not worth the hassle for a lot of people.

lata
Bill
Old 01-09-2004, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Well Even then with that setup ...considering i already have An LS6 intake ..... i should also put the 350 to the wheels.... Or maybe even more because that was done on an automatic.... And i would be more then pleased with those numbers...
Old 01-09-2004, 03:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if ya want cats and dont need to have much ground clearance go for it...also from what i read of the article that install doesnt look to fun either but if your getting somebody to do the header install for ya whatever floats yer boat.

lata
Bill
Old 01-09-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SLP LT's. Yes, they hang a little low, but it has not changed my driving style one bit. Quality and fitment are outstanding (a pain to get in place, but fit great). As far as hp goes, I did my homework before I purchased them. They are compareable to anything out there (+/- 5hp). Given all that I also considered customer service, and I have nothing but praise to give in that department. Good luck to you.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't give you any concrete evidence to support the claim that they make less power than others. What I can tell you is that they are very HIGH QUALITY. The fit and finish is outstanding. I didn't have the horrible install experience that others have had...just make sure you have a second set of hands to help you. The only real complaint I have is the ground clearance. In my opinion, it's simply terrible. I scrape on my driveway and, no matter how I attack them, I scrape on all speed bumps. Because of this, I have a set of Kooks ready to go on to replace my SLPs.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Teching In

They're OK for the money, as long as your car isn't lowered. They will NOT work if it is. There are better headers avaialable, but they cost a lot more. PPCs, Kooks, QTPs, FLPS. Those have all been proven to net another 10-20hp over SLPs. But I know a guy with a SC LS1 that has them, and he's cranking out ~ 400rwhp with them.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Well ... i have the SLP Bilstien suspension ... which ..correct me if iam wrong is an option meaning not all SS's have it and the car may already be to low for these headers???????
Old 01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP's do put out the power,but so do most of the other Header's here..There build quality is good,they just have real sucky ground clearence at the header tubes.I've seen a few cars actually grind through them.I would personally not buy them due to ground clearence.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
Consider that they also put on a lm exhaust and ls6 intake to make that power...the ls6 intake alone has been tested for like 12-18hp...with how low they hang and now its down to maybe 25-18hp gain for the headers tops its not worth the hassle for a lot of people.

lata
Bill
exactly, they had all the free mods, some bolt ons and then added the LT, Y, LM, and ls6 intake for 37rwhp. thats a nice collective gain but dont attribute it soley to the headers. people are so quick to read what they want too...

if your gonna spend 800 dollars for headers then look at kooks or qtp.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I have the SLP LTs and CATS on my Z28. The hardest part putting them on was getting the passenger side up past the K-member. With a help of a buddy pushing the trans aside, it finaly slid right in. Ground clearance is well I will say low, but I have not seen any place that my car scrubs. Even around some road construction in my area its all good. Only time it slightly scrubbed... the first night I backed my car out the garage.. the passenger CAT hit the ground cuz my driveway sucks a$$... I live on a hilly area with gravel driveway. My car is stock height too. I dont plan on lowering it. If i did.. i'd need to change headers lol. If SLP would revise their design and move the collector "up" higher and get the y-pipe to go higher it would be excellent.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

They actually dyno'd the car with free mods and lid...... which put them at 310 RWHP...... And then the exhaust setup and ls6 intake brought it to 347rwhp.... the free mods had nothing to do with that dyno .... read the article
Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Think i may go with the stainless steel hookers
Old 01-09-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

I have SLP lt's and I couldn't be happier. The install isn't bad just takes time and with a help of a buddy it's fine. I did mine on rhino ramps and jackstands in the garage at home. These headers are of extreme quality, the fit and finish of them is great. Mine still look new from bottom to top. IMO I think slp's ypipe is the best. I'm also lowered with the prokit and don't have issues scraping. I do avoid steep driveways and large speedbumps though. You can't be a careless driver. All it takes is careful driving and if your use to driving a lowered car and good at it, you shouldn't have any problem. I hate to think what some of your from bumpers look like from the stories I hear. The SOTP feel is awesome and the sound is insane I have yet to dyno though so I can't offer any numbers. Considering most headers sell the ypipe separete the SLP's are a fairly good deal. For the headers, install kit and racepipes I paid just under 900 bucks. If your gonna run cats then I can see it getting expensive. Sorry for the long post!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Good choice. I love my Hookers!! I have only scraped once on my y-pipe. I have no ground clearance problems with the headers.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Well, lets just say that Kooks does make nicer setup, but in my case (DDSFCS) I could only have run SLPs or Hookers. I quickly chose SLP due to the completeness of the set. Sure they hang low, but you learn to adjust your driving and not drive it like a 4x4. I'm lowered 1". After I installed my BMR K member it lowered my engine another 3/4", which gave me even less clearance, AND I'm still OK. They're a nice header.