Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rasp!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rasp!

OK... Put the LT's on plus ORY-pipe and i had the magnaflow exhaust. Its definitely louder by far and HP gain.. But if any of you guys live in the south im sure you have heard glass packs or cherry bombs on trucks.. My TA kinda sounds like that. So, is that what rasp is?? On the Highway it just humms. But when i get on it to a certain extent form a dead stop it sounds a little like glass packs.. Not good. So, is that RASP or could it just be the kind of tips im runnin?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably rasp some exhaust setups just dont handle the ls1 with no cats and lt's very well.

lata
Bill
Old 01-09-2004, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone has a little different definition of rasp, but your description is what I have always regarded as rasp. I had Mufflex off road pipes on my car with stock manifolds and Hooker exhaust at one time. It had some major rasp going on from about 2000-2500 rpms, especially if I was in 4th or 5th gear accelerating normally through that range. Car was almost as loud during the rasp as it was at WOT, lol. I didn't like the sound so I pulled them off and put the cats back on.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed the CCI 3" 2-disk inserts right at the front of each y-pipe inlet. This took away the terrialble noise I had from 2k-2.8k rpm. It was very annoying to say the least. I can now also hear my stereo again I did not really notice any HP loss based on seat of the pants. I have recieved many compliments on the sound of it since I installed these. It has an excellant sound when you shift with RPM above 3k and from a dead stop there is no point where it sounds like a piece of crap(IMO). This is what worked for me.
By the way some guys put just one insert in the i-pipe and did not get the same results. Also I would think that would be a HP killer.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Technoman64
I installed the CCI 3" 2-disk inserts right at the front of each y-pipe inlet. This took away the terrialble noise I had from 2k-2.8k rpm. It was very annoying to say the least. I can now also hear my stereo again I did not really notice any HP loss based on seat of the pants. I have recieved many compliments on the sound of it since I installed these. It has an excellant sound when you shift with RPM above 3k and from a dead stop there is no point where it sounds like a piece of crap(IMO). This is what worked for me.
By the way some guys put just one insert in the i-pipe and did not get the same results. Also I would think that would be a HP killer.
I have the A4 and sometimes when it shifts it sounds like an old man cut a fart... lol.. I have some weird tips on there.. Some that i have nver seen but on my car. I guess to start i will go ot the long oval shaped ones and expirement with those.. Will hate to take these off because eveyone at the F-body meeting like the way they look..
Old 01-09-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Technoman, I had a 3" CC Insert in my I pipe after my cutout and it lost me 33rwhp @ 34rwtq. I immediately cut that POS out and trashed it. While I agree it was a dumba** idea on my part to put it in the I pipe I still feel it is a major restriction to have one in each header collector as you are basically stuffing two potatoes with small holes in your exhaust pipes. I would be interested to see a dyno of your car with them installed and with them out.

Here is my dyno graph with the CC Insert installed and with the cutout open bypassing the CC Insert.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Technoman, I had a 3" CC Insert in my I pipe after my cutout and it lost me 33rwhp @ 34rwtq. I immediately cut that POS out and trashed it. While I agree it was a dumba** idea on my part to put it in the I pipe I still feel it is a major restriction to have one in each header collector as you are basically stuffing two potatoes with small holes in your exhaust pipes. I would be interested to see a dyno of your car with them installed and with them out.

Here is my dyno graph with the CC Insert installed and with the cutout open bypassing the CC Insert.

If its HP loss or RASP, i think i will take RASP... Sounds awesome when i punch it!!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sound will change, trust me. Just make sure you get it tuned right and get the exhaust and y pipe as tight as possible. I have the Magnaflow with no cats and at first I was like WTF?! Once I got it tuned and made sure everything was tight it sounded "much" better.

A couple tips. Make sure it's not banging anywhere. I even went so far as to have a valve spring welded between the y pipe and flloorboard on the driver side to stiffen everything up. Use the high temp RTV to seal the slip clamps if they leak (you'll hear a tick) and weld most of your others. It will take away alot of mechanical noise.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

IMO the magnaflow, and most other catbacks are raspy with headers and off road y pipe. I always tell people the slp dual/dual is the best bet to minimize the raspy sound in the exhaust note. It also flows pretty well, too.