Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coated or uncoated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coated or uncoated?

i am wanting to the pacesetter headers and i don't know if i need them coated or not? i only drive my car in the summer time and it's put away for winter, so is there any need for the coating and what does it do exactly? any help would be appreciated...
Old 01-09-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get them coated in/out for sure.. Ceramic coating helps the exhaust gases move faster, lowers under hood temps, & also in most cases prevents rusting of the headers..
Old 01-09-2004, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

"I would get them coated in/out for sure.. Ceramic coating helps the exhaust gases move faster, lowers under hood temps, & also in most cases prevents rusting of the headers.."

I agree.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marcus,

Coating your headers will keep the temperature inside the engine compartment down, it will move the exhaust gases a little faster but mostly it will prevent them from rusting. I haven't seen any data to back this up but I am fairly certain that for a stock/street type car, the coatings don't really give any noticable performance increase. By increasing the temperature of the exhaust gases within the header you can THEORETICALLY increase the speed of the exhaust gases which will effectively lower the exhaust backpressure somewhat. If you really are looking for more performance out of your header, make sure you get a header that is tuned to your engine in terms of the diameter and length and collector orientaiton. That will actually help a lot more than any small gains from the ceramic coating.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

get coated, u wanna see some pics of uncoated headers? nasty