Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done this before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Has anyone done this before?

I'm helping a friend who just got his hands on a 1999 Z28 replace shot motor mounts with Prothane mounts. Everything is totally stock and well-worn. The car has 145k. I am trying to see if this is possible without removing as much as possible for fear of breaking bolts. Taking the exhaust off is out of the question but I can get the manifolds off the head. Is this job at all possible? Any advice for those who did this with stock manifolds still in with all the emissions crap still attached?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The write-up in this thread is what I used when installing Polys. Alot of good info in there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-written.html

Here is another thread with alot of pictures included.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

Good luck, man.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did mine with my shorty headers still mounted. The drivers side was a pain-in-the-***!,I was to pig-headed to remove the driverside header (mistake) and only removed the Alternator. The passengerside I removed the starter, and AC compressor, plus it's mount bracket; the passengerside was easy it only took me 4 hrs total with no need to remove the Header. The driverside took all Saturday and most of Sunday, if I would have removed the header the driverside would have taken a lot less time.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I did a set twice on a friend's car with LTs, its no big deal. Remove the alt and swing the AC compressor out of the way. Some of the bolts are difficult to reach, but you can get to them. Hardest part is shooting the long mount bolts back through because the new poly mounts never line up with the cast iron stands
Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Hardest part is shooting the long mount bolts back through because the new poly mounts never line up with the cast iron stands
That is no lie! I went ahead and just did a tubular K member on the next fbody.