Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I running so rich???

Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I running so rich???

Ok so i'm trying to figure out possible reasons my truck is running so rich. Its a 4.8L engine. i've done the following to it:
220/222 110lsa comp cam
SLP valve springs
LS1 intake manifold w/ 28.8 injectors
Return style fuel setup
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Professional Products Fuel Pressure Regulator
SLP shorty headers w/ no cats into magnaflow round mufflers
Only front 02 sensors
Blackbear tune
Removed EGR and EVAP
Electric Fan
MAF right in front of the throttle body w/ cone filter in front of it (sticking right off the front of the engine)

Ever since I did this motor work its not run right. Its very rich. If i get on it if bogs out / shuts off briefly. It backfires really bad too. I'm already on my second set of plugs and thats just loading and unloading it on a trailer to go to maybe 4 shows.

It smells very hot when its running but it is probably the exhaust from all the extra fuel dumping out.

The fuel pressure goes down to almost 0 within a minute of turning the engine off.

I'm not 100% i have all the vacuum lines in the correct placement. I used the LS1howto.com as reference though.

I did have to extend the lines to the injectors, MAF, throttle body, 02 sensors.

What should I check? I plan on having a friend scan it tomorrow or friday but i'm affraid it wont help me here.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it you don't have a 5 wire wideband attached do you? How do you know its actually running rich?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

no i do not have a wideband. I guess i do not know for sure but the plugs got fucked pretty quick, it burns the **** out of your eyes when you are around the exhaust and it backfires everytime i rev it.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get it to a tuner man. That or get a mail order tune. Is it throwing any codes? With it being that far from stock, you can't expect it to run on the stock tune... ESPECIALLY if the injectors are different. Remember you also deleted the cats, so the smell of exhaust fumes is going to increase in strength. Keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Get it to a tuner man. That or get a mail order tune. Is it throwing any codes? With it being that far from stock, you can't expect it to run on the stock tune... ESPECIALLY if the injectors are different. Remember you also deleted the cats, so the smell of exhaust fumes is going to increase in strength. Keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck.
I had Justin from Blackbear mailorder tune it right after all the motor work was done.

Last edited by jcfreeman0; 06-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Well i got the motor running good. I found out why it was ****** up (I think anyways). I had the vacuum lines all hooked up like i saw online (did a LS1 intake manifold swap so i was going by the car setup). I had it all hooked up as if i was using the pcv system but i wasnt. I capped everything off like i found to do when removing the pcv system and she ran great. It was late last night when i figured this out so today if its not pouring im gonna take her down the road to confirm. I did get to 4th gear in my driveway though and didnt bog out at all!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is a credible mail order tuner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why am I running so rich???