Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know how to test a coil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default anyone know how to test a coil?

i think i have a bad coil, but dont really know of a way to test one on the bench. the motor is out of the car for now so i have to bench test it. and i just want to make sure its the coil before i put it in the car im building now.

funny backstory: this motor was in my 91 mustang and it only went 12.40 @112mph. we knew something was wrong but never figured it out (it went 12.30's in my friends 01 firebird wich is where i got the motor from and the mustang should weight at LEAST 800 pounds less so we figured it should have went hi 11's without doing anything to it).

so i kept trying to work on the tune but it kept running really rich, even crusing on the highway it was like 12.5:1 afr!! down the track you could actually see black smoke at the big end, i mean it was running riiiich.

so i sold the mustang and pulled the motor and trans and im putting them in my 78 malibu (this time with a 72mm turbo). so i have the motor on the stand and im starting to clean it up cuz im gonna tear it down etc. and when i pulled the plugs .......... number 7 looks like it NEVER fired EVER!!!!!!!

and there is way less carbon on the exhaust port.

so im thinkin its the coil, what do you guys think and how to test?

edit: also these are not the coils i got with the motor, i got these off ebay i think. so yeah the number seven is zip tied to keep the plug plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails anyone know how to test a coil?-plugs.jpg   anyone know how to test a coil?-badcoil.jpg   anyone know how to test a coil?-exhaust-port.jpg