Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on bottom of pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil on bottom of pan

I've noticed that My LS1 has been slowly leaking oil. I recently had a problem where my drain bolt was striped and I had it re-threaded with and oversized bolt. It doesn't really look like the drain-bolt is leaking though. I have some oil on the bottom of the pan and near the crack underneath the clutch ( which is what im worried about). My buddy who also has an LS1 was telling me about some people having problems with oil leaking from the top of the motor (maybe the intake or something to do wit the PVC). Anyone have any more knowledge about possible oil leaks from the top of the motor?

Also the car has been acting funny lately when I go between 50%-WOT in 1st and 2nd. I will feel some good pick up from about 1k-2.5k and then I feel a drop in hp/torque and then picks back up around 3k. I have a Monster stage 2 in there with only about 10k on it. I am very afraid that this clutch is getting oil on it just like my last one. My last clutch was drenched in oil from the leaking drain-plug. I noticed that clutch slipping in high gears, the RPMs would just shoot up and it was obvious the motor was clutch was not staying engaged. However this is definitely a different feeling and I'm really not sure what is causing it. Any help, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeroboy
I've noticed that My LS1 has been slowly leaking oil. I recently had a problem where my drain bolt was striped and I had it re-threaded with and oversized bolt. It doesn't really look like the drain-bolt is leaking though. I have some oil on the bottom of the pan and near the crack underneath the clutch ( which is what im worried about). My buddy who also has an LS1 was telling me about some people having problems with oil leaking from the top of the motor (maybe the intake or something to do wit the PVC). Anyone have any more knowledge about possible oil leaks from the top of the motor?

Also the car has been acting funny lately when I go between 50%-WOT in 1st and 2nd. I will feel some good pick up from about 1k-2.5k and then I feel a drop in hp/torque and then picks back up around 3k. I have a Monster stage 2 in there with only about 10k on it. I am very afraid that this clutch is getting oil on it just like my last one. My last clutch was drenched in oil from the leaking drain-plug. I noticed that clutch slipping in high gears, the RPMs would just shoot up and it was obvious the motor was clutch was not staying engaged. However this is definitely a different feeling and I'm really not sure what is causing it. Any help, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Same oil leak here.. Burnt up one flywheel. Replaced the rear main seal and still have the same problem.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Same oil leak on mine, very slow leak seems to be at back of the oil pan. From searching, seems like a likely cause is the camshaft seal in the back cover ??

Quick Reply: Oil on bottom of pan