Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid motor mounts! Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid motor mounts! Please read!

so i just ordered solid MM and poly Trans like i been told and read you run poly poly or solid poly never solid solid on these cars. now my torque arm i have relocated because im running a short t/a does that mean i can run solid solid for engine and trans or stick with the solid poly? need advise parts will be in friday.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just run the solid/poly. I really see no point in running a solid trans mount.... I didn't even know they made one to be honest.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Launching!

yeah i dont think they made one either i dont know if they do but i know i can fab one up at the machine shop i didnt know they just wanted the poly because originally the torque are was mounted on the tail shaft
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Staging Lane

I would just go with a solid/poly mount just cuz the poly tranny mount is 25 bucks... why go through the hassle of fabbin a solid mount that wont do anything more of a noticeable difference then a poly. Im runnin solid/poly and it works fine.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by BFarrier
so i just ordered solid MM and poly Trans like i been told and read you run poly poly or solid poly never solid solid on these cars. now my torque arm i have relocated because im running a short t/a does that mean i can run solid solid for engine and trans or stick with the solid poly? need advise parts will be in friday.
The reason not to run a solid mount on the tranny is because of chassis flex. Alot of people have actually snaped the transmission case as a result of chassis flex when running all solid mounts.

Run the solid up front and poly at the trans and you will be fine.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having solid MMs installed but I'm leaving the tranny mount stock rubber. It seems a number of people with a poly trans mount get bad vibrations. There's no harm in running a stock rubber trans mount with poly or solid motor mounts.

So the answer to your question is no, you don't want to run a solid trans mount, even they even exist. Never heard of them myself. You don't even need the poly trans mount.

Last edited by X-ray; 07-16-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The reason not to run a solid mount on the tranny is because of chassis flex. Alot of people have actually snaped the transmission case as a result of chassis flex when running all solid mounts.

Run the solid up front and poly at the trans and you will be fine.
Usually the poly has a safety built in if it was to ever tear apart. But I Personally have never seen a stock one brake unless it was soaked in tranny fluid or if the exahust was to close to the mount.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

I've got a poly trans mount and the stock engine mounts (for now) no extra noise/vibration from the poly trans mount.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

This is a little off topic, but I have broke 2 factory trans mounts on my stock 99 z28 a4.. I did beat on the car a lot though during that period of time.. but I replaced the trans mount with the same factory mount 3rd time around and it is still doing fine (I haven't beat on the car as much though).

I agree though, poly trans mount should serve the purpose fine.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Usually the poly has a safety built in if it was to ever tear apart. But I Personally have never seen a stock one brake unless it was soaked in tranny fluid or if the exahust was to close to the mount.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Supposedly my trans mount is torn and has been since I basically got the car, I bought a new one but the car drives fine and ive run it at the track without problems, so I dont see a reason to change it for now.

When i can get it done for free at the votech I went to this fall I probably will let them do that, shocks and springs.