Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunder Mufflers and Texas Speed and performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet Thunder Mufflers and Texas Speed and performance

I have built/finished many old school hot rods over the years past 20 years and usually I go with flow-master or thrush mufflers or what ever came with the project I bought.

This is my 3rd "new school" build a 1998 formula and the car came with a hooker cat back with y pipe setup on it.. It was very raspy and loud at idle and under acceleration. My formula has a built 383 stroked ls1 with a custom cam, ls6 prc heads etc..

I cant say how happy I was to buy a prefabbed exhaust system that actually fits and sound this badass!

The mufflers are decently quiet at idle. "alot quieter that you would expect a str8t through design to be" they have a good bass'ey tone and really sound wicked under full throttle not like anything else I have ever heard!

They made my ls1 powered formula sound like my old 440 power'd dodge challenger at idle "my mopar I had when i was younger " I am super happy my car no longer sounds like so many other raspy, poppey f bodys/mustangs I hear driving the strip on saturday night...

Texas Speed packed this setup super well and even though ups destroyed the box nothing inside was hurt .

I tried the sweet thunder mufflers on a buddies old mopar 383 bigblock and hes pretty sure hes gonna lose the flowmasters on his charger

I purchased these mufflers through texas speed as a kit " true dual kit with x pipe " for my 98 formula and it dumps before the rear axle the kit lines up good when properly installed and clears my aftermarket umi torque arm "trans mounted" and still gives me enough ground clearance on my lowered vehicle

I did not have to bend any piping and I have hookers super comp lt headers on my car.

The piping is a good grade its not thin like the cheap piping you buy at autozone/pepboys.. its a good gauge ! I welded on a 02 bung with a stick welder some old 70-18 rods i had laying around at 90 amps and at no time did I feel like it was gonna pop through its good quality piping... the clamps they include worked great but the pipes basically sealed themselves they fit snug!

If you ever thought about if you should get the sweet thunder mufflers or something else give the sweetthunder mufflers a try ! they seem to sound good on what ever you put them on! and these videos you hear on youtube of these muffler just dont do them justice...

Hats off to both company's texas speed and sweet thunder for making a great product at a affordable price!

Last edited by whtrashferrari; 07-30-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the pipes. I just finished installing a set of TSP long tubes and am hoping to get the X pipe on the car tomorrow. I was happy with how well the 1 7/8 hugged the engine when installed, I was worried my steering shaft would rub like it did on the JBA shorties I just pulled out.

Texas speed is a great company.

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder Mufflers and Texas Speed and performance