Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear o2 sensors

I am putting headers on my car and I am planing on getting it tuned by frost. The thing is I am going to drive it over to an exhaust shop with open headers to have them put a custom y-pipe on. Will it hurt my car driving it without having the rear o2 sensors tuned out?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not at all.
Only thing it will do is eventually throw a service engine soon code, you'll be fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The rear o2s wont be a problem but if your running open headers with the front o2s only a couple inches from the open headers I personaly would question that. I dont know for sure. Car might run funny because the front o2s are sensing some really un-normal **** going on and when your car runs funny it isnt good for the car. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in but IMO I would think its not good. Like I said...not sure
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driving without the rear o2 sensors tuned out wont hurt anything. i did for a week before i got a tune and just got the code.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
The rear o2s wont be a problem but if your running open headers with the front o2s only a couple inches from the open headers I personaly would question that. I dont know for sure. Car might run funny because the front o2s are sensing some really un-normal **** going on and when your car runs funny it isnt good for the car. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in but IMO I would think its not good. Like I said...not sure
Its going to throw off the front O2's for sure, but its nothing that they won't recover from. Just temporary skewed fuel trims.

As for the rear O2's, as the other guys said, you don't even need them at all. They are unrelated to engine performance or efficiency, their sole purpose is to monitor the catalysts to ensure that they are functioning properly. Nothing more, nothing less.