Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
Spoke with Greg @ Anti Venoom in Tampa which is were I think I'm going to take my car. He said electric water pump on Ls1 is 12 hp gain. Had on on his personal car got stranded once but if he had fuses with him he would have been ok. Don't know why the blow fuses so often never had any blow on my car but that was his only proble in 5 yrs.
I think the fuse thing might be because the motor probably pulls pretty close to the 20 amps the fuse it comes with is rated to - I swapped that fuse out for a 30 amp fuse and run a 60 amp relay, and have not had any issues besides the first time I fried a 30 amp relay.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
don't expect at all to make 12hp from the ewp.. or even 1hp.. there have been countless times people have installed these and no power increase resulted.. its not meant to build power, rather reduce parasitic loss in the drive belt and increased cooling for the motor..
I'm not expecting anything just passing along the information that was given to me. I would consider that a reliable source though. His shop has been in GM High Tech Performance many times and is know as a reliable tuner in the area. Just spoke breifly on the phone with him about what I want to do to my car and asked his opinion on it for a daily driver . He did not try to sway me one way or another just gave me his personal experience with the one he had . Keeping fuses on hand was his suggestion if I do it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

freeing up 10hp or making 10hp...at the end of the day its still 10more rwhp than you had before so it really don't matter where it comes from; clarifying or arguing the point is really just semantics.

So if you do EWP, get a 60amp relay, a nice ECT gauge, and maybe even a audible alarm or light that comes on if the EWP loses power...does this about cover it?

BTW who has the best pricing for the Meizere "street" EWP...and is that the consensus on the best one to go with if we are focusing on it being a DD?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the price tag on the EWP...I would invest the $$$ elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
don't expect at all to make 12hp from the ewp.. or even 1hp.. there have been countless times people have installed these and no power increase resulted.. its not meant to build power, rather reduce parasitic loss in the drive belt and increased cooling for the motor..
Well then, using logic, if it reduces parasitic loss, then you should see an increase in usable power. Slight though it might be,
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Default EWP for track use

Anyone with experience on a track only car?

I am about ready to place the water pump on my LS1 3rd gen RX7.

Will drive the snot out of it! Need to keep it cool.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nath
Anyone with experience on a track only car?

I am about ready to place the water pump on my LS1 3rd gen RX7.

Will drive the snot out of it! Need to keep it cool.
Define "track" - quarter mile, or road course/autocross? If it is the latter with sustained high RPM driving, an electric water pump is not for you.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If ...sustained high RPM driving, an electric water pump is not for you.
Why's that? Is it because the EWP can't keep up with the flow requirements? Or because of some kind of electrical reason?

--Eric
02 SS
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, Old thread from the dead...
I'm now at 6 years, 2 motors and over 40,000 miles with ZERO issues.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I would'nt recommend it on a daily driver,if it was a dedicated track car(meaning 1/4 mile) or a weekend car cool ,but not a daily driver.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tilly
I have a system setup on where if the pump does not have power going to it. A buzzer will go off in the car. And I am the 3rd owner of this pump. Its still running strong.
how did you wire that?? Sounds like a good idea, I may try something like this as well as a light when the engine goes over a certain temp

Quick Reply: electric water pump daily driver ?