Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermttent idle surge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermttent idle surge

I had a weind intake installed and the idle seemed to be fine.A couple weeks later i had a torquer V2 cam installed in my LS1 and a tune done.Now my car will idle fine for a couple of minutes then the idle will surge from 950 to 1300 or 1400 RPM(varies).After a couple minutes of that it goes it idles normal.Back and forth.My installer and tuner told me this is normal.i have done a search on this and all i come up with is isthe tune.If it is the tune woudnt it be constant surge?Do I have to live with this?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

either your tuner sucks or you have a vacuum leak . . . i'm leanin towards the vacuum leak
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree and have to say vacuum leak
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me too. I had a FAST 90 intake crack across the bottom and it ran fine at WOT but like **** when it was at idle and really low rpms. It would idle up for a few seconds and then act normal and the process repeats.
Check it over really good. Get some carb. cleaner and spray it on the intake where you could possibly have leaks like where the intake meets the heads. If when you do this the idle changes then you have a leak there. Check the coupler that attaches the MAF to the TB and make sure its tight. Check the back of the intake where your brake booster vacuum line is and also check the MAP sensor on the back of the intake and stuff like that.
If your intake is fine then its the tune. A good tuner can tune that out. I guarantee you that no cars leave Premier or Vengance doing that.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try cleaning the IAC .
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks i will check these things out