Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery relocation bracket vs relocation box

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery relocation bracket vs relocation box

Just pondering on this a bit...thinking about grabbing a battery relocation kit to move the battery to the back of the car, but I'm not sure if I want to get one of the bracket kits (which I know aren't considered track-legal) or buy the entire battery box setup. It looks like BMR is the only company making the "shelf" kits (not counting the universal ones on Summit/Jegs), and Mr Gasket makes a box-style kit (also ignoring the Summit/Jegs clone version of the same).

Since the non-box style isn't track legal, is there really any reason to go with it instead of the track-legal box version? Also, I'm planning on running a distribution block in the front for all the wires (instead of the "o-term all the wires and shove them onto one bolt" solution); is there anything else I'd need to buy aside from the distribution block, an inline fuse (any ideas of total system amperage draw?), the relocation kit, and a battery disconnect switch? Not going to be running the external disconnect, just want to put one back by the battery.

I'm running an Optima, so I've already got the dry battery part covered.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be NHRA legal you are correct it should be an enclosed vented box to the outside atmosphere.

Something to also remember is when you relocate the battery to the back it requires the external ON-OFF switch on the car to be NHRA legal.

So it's kind of one of those all or nothing deals......
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm, didn't realise the box also had to be vented with a dry cell...the car rarely sees the track and won't be back for a while yet, so I might just do the tray setup to get some weight off the nose and deal with making it track-legal later.

Quick Reply: Battery relocation bracket vs relocation box