Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catted FLP y-pipe, should I upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catted FLP y-pipe, should I upgrade?

I currently have FLP LT headers & the FLP catted y-pipe with removable cats. The system originally came with off-road pipes that were interchangeable with the cats, but unfortunately I don't have them.

So, I contacted FLP by PM on here. They actually have some left, but at $150 for the 2 pipes, so I'm not sure I want to go that way. Although, I imagine I could sell these high flow cats & recoupe most of that.

After contemplating this, I have about decided to redo the middle of my exhaust completely (keeping my FLP headers & Corsa catback/tips).

I know I want an electric cutout, & I'm pretty sure I want to remove the cats, as we have no emissions testing in OK at all & I want the most power possible (full bolt-on's with cam coming soon).

I'm also pretty sure I'd like to replace my merge collector with a Flowmaster after some reading I've been doing. I think mine is better than the Pacesetter, but still not as good as the Flowmaster by any means. My current Y-pipe is 2.5", so I assume I should go to a full 3" ORY.

Anyway, any opinions?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your merge is not bad by any means. If you were going to keep that Y, just get some straight pipe welded in place of the cats, screw $150 for that. However, I wouldn't be crazy about the 2.5'' y-pipe, and if you're wanting the most power, a 3'' y-pipe is what you want, unless you'd consider going true duals.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I'd love to go to true duals, but can I do that & keep my Corsa tips out back somehow, or would that be too ghetto?

Also, I'm not sure there's an exhaust shop around me that will do "illegal" exhaust, so I wouldn't even know where to start with getting true duals installed. For that matter, I'm not even sure where I'd get the straight pipes installed in place of the cats, other than the $150 FLP route.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

if i were you, id def. go with 3 inch ory. if you have no emissions test then why bother with cats? less weight and better flow your exhaust is gona sound def. better with a cat-back. and yea i have a custom 3" ory and i never hit anything but am still on stock high tho
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I actually have a guy on my local Craigslist with a Texas Speed true dual system for sale with bullet mufflers dumped at the axel. I'm seriously considering this & just selling my cats, y-pipe, & Corsa catback. Here's my question though. How can I do this & still keep my Corsa tips or at least some kind of tips to fill up the cutouts in the rear bumper of my TA?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I could have a shop run the TSP duals up & over the axel all the way to the tips, but I bet that would cost & arm & a leg, all just for the look of the tips. I wonder if I could just mount the tips there somehow. Has anyone here seen that done?

Last edited by osuhog; 09-09-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

yes, most of the dumped guys go with faker tips to fill the bumper, just weld it somewhere no big deal.

Quick Reply: Catted FLP y-pipe, should I upgrade?