Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?

I had to tear down my engine due to a lifter failure, and i have a set of fabbed valve covers that im gonna put back in the original ones places. They however do not have any pcv provisions. I would like to eliminate all the hose clutter and stuff so im looking for ideas. Will a ls6 valley cover conversion eliminate the need for all the hoses running to the valve covers?

Any ideas, pictures, and part numbers are greatly appreciated

Randy
Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Will a ls6 valley cover conversion eliminate the need for all the hoses running to the valve covers?
Yes..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Yes..
not completely...

when you rebuild you will need to add a valve cover breather. too much crankcase pressure will hurt your engine, especially when new and trying to break it in.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

the shortblock had 20k on it when i got it, the heads cam intake has about 1200

Im assuming the valley cover still has provisions for knock sensors?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

i would recommend a catch can and a crankcase breather
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svtwhat?
I had to tear down my engine due to a lifter failure, and i have a set of fabbed valve covers that im gonna put back in the original ones places. They however do not have any pcv provisions. I would like to eliminate all the hose clutter and stuff so im looking for ideas. Will a ls6 valley cover conversion eliminate the need for all the hoses running to the valve covers?

Any ideas, pictures, and part numbers are greatly appreciated

Randy
Originally Posted by Damian
Yes..
Originally Posted by soundengineer
not completely...

when you rebuild you will need to add a valve cover breather. too much crankcase pressure will hurt your engine, especially when new and trying to break it in.
Damian is correct.

Using the LS6 Valley Cover does allow you to eliminate all the PCV Hoses running to the Valve Covers.

I have the LS6 Valley Cover as well as a RevXtreme Catchcan. Here is a picture of my setup.

installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?-catchcan-setup-6.jpg

You can see the PCV Valve connected to the Intake Manifold directly behind the TB. It then attaches to the side of the Catchcan.

The top of the Catchcan is connected to the port on the LS6 Valley Cover directly below the PCV Valve.

As you can see, nowhere is the PCV System connected to either Valve Cover. If you choose not to run a catchcan the hose from the Valley Cover containing the PCV Valve would simply loop around to the Intake Manifold.

The only hose you'll have going to either Valve Cover will be from the Throttle Body to the Passenger Side VC. Which you can also see in the picture provided.

Using a Valve Cover Breather is also an option, but using Aftermarket Valve Covers doesn't rule out use of a PCV System.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles

As you can see, nowhere is the PCV System connected to either Valve Cover. If you choose not to run a catchcan the hose from the Valley Cover containing the PCV Valve would simply loop around to the Intake Manifold.

The only hose you'll have going to either Valve Cover will be from the Throttle Body to the Passenger Side VC. Which you can also see in the picture provided.

Using a Valve Cover Breather is also an option, but using Aftermarket Valve Covers doesn't rule out use of a PCV System.
the hose that connects to the Throttle Body... IS Part of the PCV system...
if you dont have it.. you need a Breather
Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the hose that connects to the Throttle Body... IS Part of the PCV system...
if you dont have it.. you need a Breather
****. My bad.

For some reason I thought the Hose from the TB was simply a Vent Tube. But, of course, it has to due with Crankcase Ventilation.

Anyways, long story short...

You'll need at least one port on the Passenger Valve Cover to connect this Hose to if you want to run a PCV System. Other than that, no other hoses are necessary.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed. I want to get rid of the pcv system because I change my oil often. Question is will it affect idle or anything since its hooked to the TB?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Subscribed. I want to get rid of the pcv system because I change my oil often. Question is will it affect idle or anything since its hooked to the TB?

wont affect a thing.. and you will have less build up because of oil no longer being sucked through the intake.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

my valve covers have no provisions at all for hose fittings or anything. So with a ls6 valley cover how would i rout stuff to minimize hoses everywhere. Mainly doing this to clean up the clutter of pcv hoses going around the engine
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

i did the ls6 valley cover last week, fit and functions great, but as everyone else said you still gotta have a port on the front of the passenger side valve cover. Ls1howto.com has a really in depth write up on this and its what i refrenced to do mine
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

We run a fitting from each cover to a catch can with a breather on it.
Attached Thumbnails installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?-catch-can2.jpg   installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?-engine-bay2.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Teching In

What's up with the plastic water bottle for a radiator catch can?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

my valve covers have no provisions at all for hose fittings or anything. So with a ls6 valley cover how would i rout stuff to minimize hoses everywhere. Mainly doing this to clean up the clutter of pcv hoses going around the engine
At least one of the Valve Covers must have a hole for the Oil Fill Neck. Correct?

This is just an idea, I've never done this, so maybe someone else can chime in on whether or not this would work...

Couldn't you simply add a fitting to the Oil Filler and run the Hose from the Throttle Body to it?

You'd still be allowing for ventilation on the same Valve Cover. It would simply be in a slightly different location.

This along with the LS6 Valley Cover would eliminate the need to port the Valve Covers themselves and you could still run a proper PCV System.

Again, I have no experience with this. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck, man.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mumbles
At least one of the Valve Covers must have a hole for the Oil Fill Neck. Correct?

This is just an idea, I've never done this, so maybe someone else can chime in on whether or not this would work...

Couldn't you simply add a fitting to the Oil Filler and run the Hose from the Throttle Body to it?

You'd still be allowing for ventilation on the same Valve Cover. It would simply be in a slightly different location.

This along with the LS6 Valley Cover would eliminate the need to port the Valve Covers themselves and you could still run a proper PCV System.

Again, I have no experience with this. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck, man.
so basically like drilling and adding a port on the cap? Im looking at options so i dont have to drill or weld on a nice shiny set of valve covers. How would i go about porting the pass side valve cover if in fact that is the way i need to go?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Temp to get the motor broken in before the blower went on and had to find room for the real catch can.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

so basically like drilling and adding a port on the cap?
Yeah. I would want it on the side of the Filler Neck, if it were me.

Im looking at options so i dont have to drill or weld on a nice shiny set of valve covers.
The above would meet that criteria. So would a Breather Cap.

How would i go about porting the pass side valve cover if in fact that is the way i need to go?
I suppose you get a fitting that has threads and a nut, as a fastener. Then drill a hole in the Valve Cover the size of the fitting. Next slip the fitting thru the hole and screw on the nut.

Again, I've never done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured I would ask here rather than make a new thread.
If i go with fab valve covers can i just run a hose from each valve cover to a catch can or will the ls6 mod be needed too?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you passenger side valve cover has provisions for a oil fill cap, then buy a Billet PCV breather with a barbed hose fitting so you can hook up fresh air hose from the TB and use it in place of the cap.
Get one with a removable pcv valve so you can remove it.

Just Google Billet PCV breather.

Quick Reply: installing fabricated valve covers, what to do with pcv?