Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal lift points?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal lift points?

I am trying to move an LS1 from one car to another tomorrow, and would like to know where it would be the best to mount the hooks/chains to do this. I know there are lift plates that are sold out there, but there has to be another way of doing it without one of those.

Pictures would help greatly.

thanks.

-Don
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

I lifted my LT1 (same) from the sides where the battery sits and where the stock lt1 air box is. Here is a good place to reference

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

If you are going out the bottom....i'm assuming
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Engine is already out of the car. I need to pick it up and put it into another car.

-Don
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used bolts and washers and screwed into the heads. Usually the front of the driver, and rear of the passenger.

Thats only for moving it around...never installed one through the top so there might be better spots, but probably your best bet.

Ide remove the intake if I were you, unless youre using a spreader bar. The angle the chains run at get kinda close, and its only plastic.

J.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I never realized that these engines made it so hard to attach a lift to. The other car that I pulled an engine out of before (M3), had mounting points on the back and front that were easily accessible.

-Don
Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I removed the bracket for the steering pump and alternator to expose all the bolt holes on the front of the head. I am doing an engine swap into an older vehicle and wanted the bracket out of the way, anyway, while I fab some engine mounts.

I used an engine tilter. At the front of the engine I did use a spreader bar to keep the chains away from the intake. Chains were fastened to the front of the heads with extra bolts. At the rear, I swapped out 2 stock bellhousing bolts for some longer ones and connected chains to either side of the bellhousing. A lot of chains and connections, but I wanted to move my LQ4 and NV4500 together, safely.

Last edited by KB1LQ4; 10-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine removal lift points?