Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Charging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Charging Problem

Have a 98 Z28 with guts from a 2000. One thing ive noticed since I bought the car (about 3 weeks ago) Is the voltage drops. Im not sure why but when you crank the car cold its where it should be, well to the right of thirteen volts, around where 14 volts should be. As the car warms up and you drive around the voltage slowly gets lower and lower until its just slightly under thirteen. When you crank it hot it jumps up to over thirteen but flickers eractically no lower then about 12.9 but it jumps. Lastly, very occasionally when coming to a stop sign or something if you push in the clutch It will straight up fall on its face, very obviously on battery alone, gauge drops very far lights dim gauges dim etc. I figured that it was probably a wiring problem maybe a bad connection etc not the alternator itself. I haven't looked at it yet just because its not honestly hurting anything, it has never left me stranded. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. SO to wrap up if anyone has some opinions on where to look first that would be great.
Thanks Guys.

Quick Reply: LS1 Charging Problem