Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp maf

Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slp maf

I have a bolt-on ls1... LTs/SLP lid/full exhaust w/ no cats

Is the SLP MAF worth buying? Opinions?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

It depends on how you plan to tune, if at all. If you plan on tuning, then you should consider whether or not you would want to tune with the maf or map (Speed density). If SD, then you dont need the maf.
Otherwise, sure, its a good maf. I have it, but I'm not using it at the moment. People have said that its overpriced. I think the Delphi truck maf is substantially cheaper and offers similar results.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Many people go with the 85mm truck maf however, with your mods I doubt you would see any difference if any.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned

no it is not worth buying.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is worth it, depending on the set up. the slp maf has a resistor soldered into it that changes the reading output to the computer which really tells the computer that it is 'a little bit of air' entering the engine, but actually there is reall time amount of air entering the engine. they did this because from the factory f-bodies are factory tuned to run a little rich so by tricking the computer by telling it there is less air then what is actually entering the engine, then the computer leans out the fuel and there for it gets a perfect air/fuel ratio for optimum performance, and it really does show at the wheels. now with that being said these are designed for a bolt on car and these mafs have to be used for the designated model years because the 01-02 model years came with the ls6 intake and if you use a pre-01 slp maf then you are leaning out the fuel too much.

also, bolt ons mean exactly that, no internal mods, just anything out side of the engine. you can tune with these mafs, your tuner may have a little harder time then with a standard 85mm gm maf, but it can be done, its all about compensating for the readings from the slp maf. also if your car was dyno tuned with a wideband with out this maf, then DO NOT put this maf on the car without immediately getting another tune done, but you are safe with a standard 85mm.

hope this helps
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

why "trick" your engine into doing something sorta right (but not really) when you can just have it tuned correctly?

your factory maf isn't holding you back one bit. unless you want to waist money.

you'll get much better results sending your pcm to frost, and it'll cost less, and run better.

www.tunedbyfrost.com
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Same thing they sold to TPIs

Dont trick your PCM into thinking an incorrect value is right. Use a GM MAF with a custom tune

Search this Thread