Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding a cutout to 2otl catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adding a cutout to 2otl catback

do you guys think it would be a bad idea to hack up a 2otl catback by putting in an e-cutout? I know this catback isn't made anymore so would it be worth cutting it up to decrease the value of it? I love the sound but sometimes I would like a little more noise.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about adding dual cutouts in your Y-pipe?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always go back and weld in a piece of pipe in the cutouts place if you wanted to sell it.

And FWIW, the 2OTL flows outstanding. I just did a back to back test on the dyno a few months ago with a heads/cam car and that exhaust. We only picked up 2hp through the cutout vs. the muffler!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
You can always go back and weld in a piece of pipe in the cutouts place if you wanted to sell it.

And FWIW, the 2OTL flows outstanding. I just did a back to back test on the dyno a few months ago with a heads/cam car and that exhaust. We only picked up 2hp through the cutout vs. the muffler!
Wow that is very impressive. Yea I think I will definitely keep it.

How can I tell if it has that silencer ring? I doubt it does since the catback is not the one that was suppose to come on the car.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
Wow that is very impressive. Yea I think I will definitely keep it.

How can I tell if it has that silencer ring? I doubt it does since the catback is not the one that was suppose to come on the car.

Are you refering to the "cone of silence"? I thought that was just used on the LT1 SS's that came with the 2otl from the factory. Anyways, you will have to pull off the intermediate pipe to see if it is there. It will be in the muffler inlet.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Are you refering to the "cone of silence"? I thought that was just used on the LT1 SS's that came with the 2otl from the factory. Anyways, you will have to pull off the intermediate pipe to see if it is there. It will be in the muffler inlet.
The 2otl never came on ls1's, someone put this on the car before I got it. So I'm sure if they saw that they would've cut it out...I hope.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you wanna do the cut-out, put an e cut-out right at the end of the I pipe before it bends up to go over the axle. You are at least saving most of the exhaust. I have this set-up on my 2 OTL. The only real gain I see is that you just get the louder exhaust with the cut-out open, very minimal performance. But, it does sound bad *** with the cut-out open running at WOT.