Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would be faster in THEORY???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Read it again. What is stated is that if the car that came w/ an LS6 intake had come w/ an LS1 intake, what I noted would be true.

Agreed, it's a pointless discussion.
Your point is flawed then unless your noted statement says that the 02 car is faster...

If all 98-02 had the same capability given their factory parts, then upgrading the 98-00 cars with an LS6 intake, OR downgrading the 01-02 cars to an LS1 intake would yield in the 01-02 cars now being slower correct? That is, if your "noted" statement is what u said it is. So now it's contradicted.

What your reply basically implied was that whichever is fastest stock will be fastest even when they are all allied an LS6 intake. Now that will be true conditionally so long as its an 98-00 car, bc if the 01-02 car was fastest stock, and then the LS6 was added to the others, it would have the ability to no longer be the fastest meaning what you stated isn't only situationally correct.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Alright, so you have 3 cars. All equal weight, drivetrain, options etc...

You have a 98, 00, and 02 LS1 car. All rock stock factory cars.

If you put an LS6 intake on each of them, which car would be faster???
The one I'm driving.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that the 2000 would have the slight advantage. Here's my reasons:

The 01/02 cam was much smaller than the 2000.
The 00 factory tune was slightly leaner than the 98/99, so with the added air flow of the LS6 intake, there might be an increase in power.

FWIW, I had a 2000 T/A that I added an LS6 intake to. No other mods other than the SLP lid. I routinely beat 01/02 stock T/A's by a car length or more. Now, maybe it was the driver mod , but my 2000 was very fast. With just the intake and lid, it went 13.002 @109 with lousy 2.2 60 foot times.

So, there you go. I hope this helped.....
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I would have to say that the 2000 would have the slight advantage. Here's my reasons:

The 01/02 cam was much smaller than the 2000.
The 00 factory tune was slightly leaner than the 98/99, so with the added air flow of the LS6 intake, there might be an increase in power.

FWIW, I had a 2000 T/A that I added an LS6 intake to. No other mods other than the SLP lid. I routinely beat 01/02 stock T/A's by a car length or more. Now, maybe it was the driver mod , but my 2000 was very fast. With just the intake and lid, it went 13.002 @109 with lousy 2.2 60 foot times.

So, there you go. I hope this helped.....
This is interesting reasoning. I more or less would agree that the 2000 would have the slightest advantage due to the better cam compared to 01-02, and better exhaust manifolds compared to 98-99. However I think any difference is really going to be within the variation produced by the drivers. FWIW the fastest published mag time was a 98 Z28 6speed in MM&FF.

I personally do not think that the mild difference in the LS6 intake at stock power (air flow) is really very different. In addition, the difference in cams is very mild. GM may have changed them for whatever reason, but remember that 01+ is also shared with the truck motors and cost savings was a consideration to go alongside elimination of EGR.

FWIW I think these specs are the correct ones:
stock 98-00
duration@.050 198.86 intake 209.25 exhaust
lift .498 intake .497 exhaust
LSA 119.45

stock 01-02
duration@.050 196.37 intake 208.72 exhaust
lift .464 intake .479 exhaust
LSA 115.92

Corvettes have even more weird year to year variations.

As far as the LS6 cam, I have one in my car. Got it reasonably with a set of assembled 243 heads that someone took off his 03 Z06. It is certainly noticeable 3500RPM+. My trap speed went up 4mph from stock. Only you can answer if it is worth it, certainly an aftermarket cam can make a lot more power. The LS6 works with stock fuel system, idles more or less like stock, is easy on springs, and returns stock fuel economy. An EPS lobed cam may very well be in my future though, but not until I further optimize my times.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

bc if the 01-02 car was fastest stock, and then the LS6 was added to the others, it would have the ability to no longer be the fastest meaning what you stated isn't only situationally correct.
I'm going to take a leap 'o logic here and guess you have a pre-'01 car.

"If only I had an LS6 intake mine would be TEH FASTORZ!!1!11!"

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
I'm going to take a leap 'o logic here and guess you have a pre-'01 car.

"If only I had an LS6 intake mine would be TEH FASTORZ!!1!11!"

No actually I don't have one at all, so nice leap there sir. Fail. Just trying to learn and develop a better understanding for all things.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry, I will go back to engineering and unlearn every theory I've learned...
Well now it makes perfect sense. You want an answer, you need an answer, you know an answer exist if you just dig deep enough. Typical engineer IMO. The reason there IS NOT an answer is bc there are too many varibles along with negligible difference, you cannot pinpoint one solid correct or non-correct response. However, people like me enjoy watching you try. So carry on
Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

No actually I don't have one at all, so nice leap there sir. Fail. Just trying to learn and develop a better understanding for all things.
When you make it to high school and get a car, come on back...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would say if everythign was exactly the same besides cam and heads between the years you have chosen i would say the edge is on the 2000, slightly better heads and bigger cam. IF everything was exactly the same besides heads and cam i think this is what you want to ask.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

with an ls6 intake on the years you listed and nothing else done, I would say the 00-02's would be slightly quicker than the 98-99... the 00' has the bigger cam combined with the better 241 heads... but not all 00's had 241's, so thats hit or miss. the 01-02's have 241's and a smaller cam, but have better flowing exhaust manifolds than the 98-00'... So I would think that would make it a wash between 00-02's.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well now it makes perfect sense. You want an answer, you need an answer, you know an answer exist if you just dig deep enough. Typical engineer IMO. The reason there IS NOT an answer is bc there are too many varibles along with negligible difference, you cannot pinpoint one solid correct or non-correct response. However, people like me enjoy watching you try. So carry on
At least you understand my position now haha. I will go no further and just take it as a wash... I understand in real life that it will be negligible, and totally be subjective to the drivers and car condition/tune, but my I personally like to build a bit of a depth in an area in hopes to better understand the system as a whole.

Many things that I've researched and worked on are trivial like this, but it's just my nature and i figure if I bring up the discussion, I may learn more and others may learn something. Thanks all for contributing to this volatile subject
Old 11-20-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
From everything i've read, there's virtually no real flow difference between any of the F-Body heads.

All else equal, the better cam cars might be a tad faster (virtual dead heat though).

FYI: The 01-02 cars had a cam with less duration and less lift so that GM could eliminate the EGR system...Not because the 01-02 heads flowed better.
this guy is saying the truth.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
When you make it to high school and get a car, come on back...
Ha, that's pretty entertaining. I'm sure I could still learn a thing or two if I went back through high school, but I see it as a non point since apparently I was good enough to get through and become a Toyota dealership mechanic. Then I had the opportunity in front of me to go on up the chain there but after a good short run I decided I would try and go for a mechanical engineering degree in hopes of designing more logical and user friendly vehicles in the future.

I hope u enjoy your career and edumacation as well as current knowledge... I will continue to attempt to further mine and hopefully help others when I can unlike many on this site. I'm sure u have a vast abundance of information on these cars that I do not, so why not share or be helpful instead of try and belittle another forum member for wanting more depth. U could have just went on and not said anything, but obviously you have the time to waste so u can hangout and try and pick people apart bc they seem to care about something u think is irrelevant or not worthy.

I'm glad people in my field don't act this way when I bring up a discussion that is trivial and otherwise irrelevant to the real world. Thanks for the input tho
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
this guy is saying the truth.
If this is the truth, then why do most guys consider a 241 head a slight advantage when adding a cam? I believe I've read before(back in the day when I first became a member) that a cam in a 241 head car would yield more potential power than an equivalent cam setup in the older head.

Just asking and trying to sound like I'm questioning the input.

I assume the better cat setup and lack of EGR also made the factory 241/LS6 cars quicker, so another discussion could be involve the addition of a longtube/!EGR + LS6 to the other cars. Then it would seem as tho the older cars would really wake up a bit(maybe even if only a fewhp difference).

Btw all, I am looking into buying an 01 car, but seriously, I have no agenda in this discussion, and am not looking to make or prove a point. I don't care how fast it is, but am intrigued by GM's minor changes.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

GM's minor changes were for emissions and to raise the yearly power rating. As a platform gets older it's supposed to get more powerful you know. Its kind of a sales tactic considering we are actually only talking about peak numbers. On the subject of heads, I consider all LS1 heads equal in stock form. None yield an advantage or disadvantage as they came from GM. Whoever told you different is wrong.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

If this is the truth, then why do most guys consider a 241 head a slight advantage when adding a cam? I believe I've read before(back in the day when I first became a member) that a cam in a 241 head car would yield more potential power than an equivalent cam setup in the older head.

Just asking and trying to sound like I'm questioning the input.

I assume the better cat setup and lack of EGR also made the factory 241/LS6 cars quicker, so another discussion could be involve the addition of a longtube/!EGR + LS6 to the other cars. Then it would seem as tho the older cars would really wake up a bit(maybe even if only a fewhp difference).

Btw all, I am looking into buying an 01 car, but seriously, I have no agenda in this discussion, and am not looking to make or prove a point. I don't care how fast it is, but am intrigued by GM's minor changes.
Remember that the 98's dont seem to have the piston slap issues like the newer years did... also from what Ive seen most 98's don't have the roof/sail panel bubbles either... I wouldnt count a 98 out if its clean and well tken care of.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
GM's minor changes were for emissions and to raise the yearly power rating. As a platform gets older it's supposed to get more powerful you know. Its kind of a sales tactic considering we are actually only talking about peak numbers. On the subject of heads, I consider all LS1 heads equal in stock form. None yield an advantage or disadvantage as they came from GM. Whoever told you different is wrong.
Well in reality GM did not have to make any changes to increase the power rating. Reason being..... the cars were underated from the being. I have seen some bone stock 98's TA dyno 290 rwhp.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
Well in reality GM did not have to make any changes to increase the power rating. Reason being..... the cars were underated from the being. I have seen some bone stock 98's TA dyno 290 rwhp.
All ls1 cars dyno right around 300rwh bone stock. Some lower, some higher. I have seen as high as 320rwh on a dyno jet from a 99 z28.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Ha, that's pretty entertaining. I'm sure I could still learn a thing or two if I went back through high school, but I see it as a non point since apparently I was good enough to get through and become a Toyota dealership mechanic. Then I had the opportunity in front of me to go on up the chain there but after a good short run I decided I would try and go for a mechanical engineering degree in hopes of designing more logical and user friendly vehicles in the future.

I hope u enjoy your career and edumacation as well as current knowledge... I will continue to attempt to further mine and hopefully help others when I can unlike many on this site. I'm sure u have a vast abundance of information on these cars that I do not, so why not share or be helpful instead of try and belittle another forum member for wanting more depth. U could have just went on and not said anything, but obviously you have the time to waste so u can hangout and try and pick people apart bc they seem to care about something u think is irrelevant or not worthy.

I'm glad people in my field don't act this way when I bring up a discussion that is trivial and otherwise irrelevant to the real world. Thanks for the input tho
Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel a 2000 F-body with a better cam and SPM 241s and a ls6 intake mite be a .005 faster.