Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a piece off your car or are you practicing on a scrap piece? Looks
good by the way. I see you got snow up there already!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Ok this is my take. I have ported several TB's and you did a decent job. I usually take all the metal out all the way aroung the very most opening. My edges are usually knife sharp all the way around the opening. The little ledge if left will disrupt air flow. Not that big of a deal. You might have gotten it out and the picture just makes it look like it's there. Maybe I am being picky but I think all the transition areas need to be as smooth as possible. The Polish job is unreal. Excellent polish job. I have polished my TB, Valve covers, belt tensioner, all the AC components, the cooling tube for the power steering fluid, ABS distribution block, and the stainless lines on the abs block. It looks really good keep going.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-throttle-body-2.jpg  

Last edited by STREETSLEEPER; 12-07-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Its the piece that connects the lm1 resonator to the y pipe yeah snow is gay lol
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Captain Double Post

I think this is a good post,I know I have done a lot of polish work under my hood also,just shows people the results you can get just by putting the time in,yeah the op can polish great that is for sure,op post some more pics buddy I'm sure others would like to see more also
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by STREETSLEEPER
Ok this is my take. I have ported several TB's and you did a decent job. I usually take all the metal out all the way aroung the very most opening. My edges are usually knife sharp all the way around the opening. The little ledge if left will disrupt air flow. Not that big of a deal. You might have gotten it out and the picture just makes it look like it's there. Maybe I am being picky but I think all the transition areas need to be as smooth as possible. The Polish job is unreal. Excellent polish job. I have polished my TB, Valve covers, belt tensioner, all the AC components, the cooling tube for the power steering fluid, ABS distribution block, and the stainless lines on the abs block. It looks really good keep going.
Thank you very much for your opinion. I try and do a good job!! About the rim...I actually cut my fingers 3 times in this specific TB. What you really cant see in the picture is that on a 350z throttle body has a bead actually around the lip that makes it look pretty thick, but in actuality is very thin. I will see if I can get better pics of it. An ls1 tb does not have this bead.... it looks like a blade after im done with it, very similar to yours. I will post more pics as soon as I can guys. I would also like to see other port and/or polish jobs from you guys!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

This shows the bead around the lip... The bead actually just goes around about 290 deg around it. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-untitled1.jpg   Opinions on Porting and Polishing!!-untitled2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Captain Double Post

Hey tex thanks my your write has really helped me a lot this is a ways from beeing done but has a good start to it
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Captain Double Post

That is snow on the exhaust tip lol,
Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Captain Double Post

My phone is jacked up I was meaning to say thanks for your write up it has helped me ,my phone lags sometimes when I type and does a word scramble
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
My phone is jacked up I was meaning to say thanks for your write up it has helped me ,my phone lags sometimes when I type and does a word scramble
No problem man! I am actually hoping to hear from others too about their polish jobs etc... I like to see people putting heart into their cars. BTW, your job looks awesome so far. Keep up the great work!!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

hey guys this is actually the throttle body off my 350z. i'll post up results as soon as i install it. but texhotrod593 does a fantastic polish job! he's actually helping me with my turbo build as well so he's not new to the ls1 game. and for the people who doubt his work you must see in person! it's like looking into a mirror! bump for a great guy!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by armintheman
hey guys this is actually the throttle body off my 350z. i'll post up results as soon as i install it. but texhotrod593 does a fantastic polish job! he's actually helping me with my turbo build as well so he's not new to the ls1 game. and for the people who doubt his work you must see in person! it's like looking into a mirror! bump for a great guy!
Thanx alot for that Armin. Yeah I cant wait till we see the results on your Z! By how much metal I took out of that thing and also the huge lip half way down the bowl, that thing should have incredible throttle response and I also would not be surprised if it gained a few good HP! Now lets get finished polishing the rest of the stuff under your T/A hood!! BLING BLING
P.S. I know we are so close to finishing your turbo build...cant wait! That thing will be a beast for sure!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Captain Double Post

Tex I have a question figure you might know about this,I was thinking of polishing my valve covers,but I don't want to be polishing them once a week to keep them looking good,is there a clearcoat that won't yellow over time that I can hit them with
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tex I have a question figure you might know about this,I was thinking of polishing my valve covers,but I don't want to be polishing them once a week to keep them looking good,is there a clearcoat that won't yellow over time that I can hit them with
Actually man I really dont know of a type of clear coat for that application. I will look into it for you. I see there might be a problem with it mainly because of the heat . You would probably be right about it yellowing in then eventually peeling, cracking and flaking. I do however know it will be very easy to clean once mirror polished. If done right it will still be microscopically porous but will have less chance for particles to latch on. Basically just wipe of and your done!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Captain Double Post

This was a pic of the rear pro stars I bought from someone,these looked really bad before polishing,some wet sanding was done,and a lot of diffrent grade compounds
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Captain Double Post

Tex, I wanted to ask is there a clearcoat that you use for under the hood parts,I have found a few clearcoats but I worry about yellowing and cracking from under the hood temps,I did my tb awhile ago it came out ok really hard to get into the crack with the tools
I had at the time,but the top came out perfect,but my 3 inch ss scoop always gets water spots on it and it always looks bad,and I'm not about taking it off once a week to hand polish it,
Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tex, I wanted to ask is there a clearcoat that you use for under the hood parts,I have found a few clearcoats but I worry about yellowing and cracking from under the hood temps,I did my tb awhile ago it came out ok really hard to get into the crack with the tools
I had at the time,but the top came out perfect,but my 3 inch ss scoop always gets water spots on it and it always looks bad,and I'm not about taking it off once a week to hand polish it,
Zoop Seal....

http://zoopseal.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Captain Double Post

Has anyone had luck with underhood polished pieces and zoopseal,I thought about it but wouldn't clear coat last longer and be more protective,to resist water etc,