Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010 | 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Default Lower Radiator

How low can i lower the radiator? Im trying to route my intake system over so i can get cooler direct air flow. I was thinking of tilting the radiator towards the engine but im not sure if i will have enough room to route a 4" pipe.
Old 12-11-2010 | 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

What about a flat pipe like the corvette system? You COULD tilt the rad like the 4th gens, would just have to make new brackets. If you wanted to lower it, you would have to cut out the lower RAD support, make new drop brackets for it and bolt/weld the support back in.

This going on the 3rd gen? Got an FQuick page?? And FYI, the SIG police will probably harass you for yours.. :-\
Old 12-11-2010 | 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah i was thinking about the Corvette style flat type pipe and then Y it off to 2 filters. So by lowering the Rad, i wont mess up the cooling performance? i think this only matters if the T-stat was on top of the motor right? in this case the LS1 has it on the bottom.

What do you mean about the Sig??
yeah this is for a 3rd gen
Old 12-11-2010 | 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Well..........Our cars are bottom breathers. Have been for a while. The air will be scooped up from the deflector underneath anyway. If tilting the rad was an issue, it wouldn't have been done on the 4th gens or vettes. (Just thinking out loud, so to speak) Plus you've got some good fans anyway. And I'm not sure how the stat placement will effect this.

I think you could tilt it back and not have an issue. Just try to get some rubber membrane or flashing for the sides of the rad to keep the incoming air from the street and underneath directed into the rad.
Old 12-11-2010 | 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Cool! Thanks a bunch man. I got some old schoolers telling me that the car won't cool right because I'm lowering the rad cap below the top of the engine. Lol I'm excited to get to work on this. I've been trying to figure a way to get cold air with a "ramair" effect