Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Box Filter Tray Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box Filter Tray Problem

I have a 2000 Trans Am with a WS9 hood that I just bought a WS6 lower airbox/radiator support for. It did not come with a filter tray. The filter tray from my stock lower air box seems to be about 1/4" short of fitting perfectly in the longer direction.

Any thoughts? I can't imagine why GM would have made 2 different filter trays for such similar applications.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed it... for future reference for other members...

Air filter tray "hung-up"

Eliminated the side top rail of the filter tray

Installed

How it looks on the other side (stock)

Comparison between stock trans am inlet and Ram Air inlet...

Stock

Ram Air
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen this problem as well. I think it actually has something to do with the tolerances of the filter trays and the construction of the lower box.

My original tray did not fit on the WS6 lower I bought and so I ended up getting another tray and it ended up fitting fine, although you wouldn't be able to really tell the difference between the trays just looking at them. I think the real deal is the tabs on the lower box just being a little wide for some reason. I also think if you manage to get a tray on and heat cycle it in the engine bay the tabs might loosen up a bit.

At any rate, your solution looks like it will work fine since the lid seals to the filter, and the side of the tray isn't all that important from that aspect.

Quick Reply: Air Box Filter Tray Problem