Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by titter
If you are replacing the starter look at getting the truck starter as it has two equal length long mounting bolts. The stock LS1 starter uses one short, and one long bolt which can cause issues if the short side becomes loose, or breaks off, causing the long bolt to possible do some serious damage to the block. I was lucky when I shattered my flex plate that the starter broke, and my block wasn't broken. The price is the same, but read carefully if buying off ebay as sometimes the truck starter doesn't come with two long bolts, just reuse your long stock bolt.

Isn't the car starter that way for clearance? like the solenoid is clocked to avoid the manifolds?

I've only messed with truck motors so far but I have an f-body starter I was hoping to use.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldnt you just get a longer bolt to replace the shorter LS1 starter bolt?
Old 11-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mjcotroneo;14252138]well to you sir above me. removing the wheels (since they bolt on to the vehicle) is easy, mainly because you dont need a tire machine to break the bead and dismount. getting the tires off of a rim isn't as easy as removing the starter. so my question to you is, are you serious? to op. remove the battery cables first, lift the vehicle to where you can fit under it, the two bolts that hold it in the block are 13mm, the two nuts that hold the signal wire and power wire are a 10mm and an 8mm. remove those and remove the wires. you can let the starter hang just dont let it drop down quickly. put the starter out of your way and replace/install in the reverse order. if you havent already done this then i hope this helps. lol[/QUOT

Last edited by Pierre334; 11-26-2020 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Don't want to offend anyone
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

[QUOTE=Pierre334;20307355]
Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
well to you sir above me. removing the wheels (since they bolt on to the vehicle) is easy, mainly because you dont need a tire machine to break the bead and dismount. getting the tires off of a rim isn't as easy as removing the starter. so my question to you is, are you serious? to op. remove the battery cables first, lift the vehicle to where you can fit under it, the two bolts that hold it in the block are 13mm, the two nuts that hold the signal wire and power wire are a 10mm and an 8mm. remove those and remove the wires. you can let the starter hang just dont let it drop down quickly. put the starter out of your way and replace/install in the reverse order. if you havent already done this then i hope this helps. lol
You're replying to a 6 year old thread.

Quick Reply: How to replace starter