Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter/Alarm/Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Alarm/Battery

Had a really hard start with my 2001 Camaro SS about 2 weeks ago. Since that point I would get 5 or 6 light sounding clicks and it would start but pretty weak.

Got the battery tested and found the 630 Amp battery had only about 136 Amps comin out. Replaced the crappy NAPA battery with an 800 Amp Optima Red Top. I then had a serious of issues with the VATS. I seem to have that under some control but the SECURITY light is staying on sometimes 3 mins before it disappears and i can then start the car.

But even with starting the car I still have 2 or 3 clicks which wasn't as bad. I would figure this is the starter needing replacing?
Sound right?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes it could be the starter, also could be the main battery cables under the hood. I recently found mine to have corrosion inside the wires. Also, you could be having an issue with your resistor chip in your key or the contact points inside your ignition where it touches.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick response. I WD40'ed the ignition switch and my keys then used rubbing alcohol since. I actually had this issue with the security 1 year ago one morning before work, I disconnected the battery, went to bed for another hour, reconnected the battery and I was good. ... nothing since then. Only when I did this battery. So, is there a way to test the starter? ... and what and where was the wear on the wiring that caught your attention? (so I have an idea at least what I was looking for, was it somewhere in the line or right at the terminals?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Teching In

*Bump*