Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to correctly remove radiator on an A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to correctly remove radiator on an A4

I am in the middle of my cam install and am about to try and remove the radiator but I cant because i am not sure how to remove the transcooler lines from the radiator. I am following the instructions on ls1howto and i am assuming that the write up was done on an manual because it was not mentioned in the write up. I have a B&M transcooler mounting infront of the ac condenser in line with the stock transcooler. When i installed it I connected the output hose from the radiator transcooler to the input of the B&M and then the output of the B&M into the return line. I can cut the rubber line back from the radiator transcooler the remove the brass fiting but I am not sure where the inlit for radiator trans cooler is. I followed the metal tube to the botton passenger side of the radiator but am not sure how to properly remove it. I completely forgot about this issue before i started and now i am stuck. Is there anyway i can remove it without having to cut any of the metal tubing beacause i am worried about leaks and i have never done anything liek that before? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a wire E-clip that holds the cooler pipe to the radiator coupler. Look at where the top pipe connects and you will see it. It is the same on the bottom pipe. Use an ice pick or a scribe to remove it and the pipe will pull out. To reinstall it, put the clip back in the coupler first then push the pipe in and it will lock in place.

The part # for when you lose one and have to go buy a new one is 24205103.

It looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails How to correctly remove radiator on an A4-clip.gif  
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you refering to this end of the fitting into the radiator in picture 1 & 2? or should i nto disconnect them there?

The two fittings in the picture are indicated with the red arrow. It looks like they would come off if i remove the bolt. Is that coupler located lower on the line? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails How to correctly remove radiator on an A4-dscn0032.jpg   How to correctly remove radiator on an A4-tranny15edi.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump. Do those lines need to be disconnected?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Bump. Do those lines need to be disconnected?
Yes to remove the radiator, those are the trans cooler lines for an auto.

Quick Reply: How to correctly remove radiator on an A4