Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb electrical fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dumb electrical fire

All day i had a problem with my Z28 starting so i had the starter checked out but it turned out to be good. So i then replaced the battery and still couldnt get the car to turnover. All i would hear is Click, Click. Finally after turning the ignition switch like 10 times, the car finally turned over. Apparently later on in the afternoon as im driving home in my Z, Something pops loud and my engine bay is covered with smoke . I stop in the middle of the road and pop my hood. I freakin see the passenger side of my engine engulf in Fire. Luckily someone stopped and help put the fire out before it started to spread. Got home barely, lifted the car and turns out to be my positive wire was what popped cause it was laying on my exhaust manifold. The heat from the exhaust manifold melted my positive wire which caused the flame. Newbie me, i remember that when i put my starter on, i tightened that wire to the starter a certain angle which was rubbing on the exhaust manifold the whole time. Now i have a melted positive and ground wire. My luck. First my Z06 now my Z28. Im writing this so that yall are aware to double check yalls work especially when messing with wires. Luckily i saved my car and am able to replace the wires. I have tooken off that starter and reinstalled it so many times and all it took was one screw up that could of costed me my car.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

WORD. Dont be a noob. Pay attention to detail.

Glad your car is ok ish. Coulda been a lot worse.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah. Even a fire truck showed up cause of how much fire was coming from underneath the car. The guys who showed up and helped said you could see the fire underneath the car from a good distance.

Could of lost my Z28.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1balt
All day i had a problem with my Z28 starting so i had the starter checked out but it turned out to be good. So i then replaced the battery and still couldnt get the car to turnover. All i would hear is Click, Click. Finally after turning the ignition switch like 10 times, the car finally turned over. Apparently later on in the afternoon as im driving home in my Z, Something pops loud and my engine bay is covered with smoke . I stop in the middle of the road and pop my hood. I freakin see the passenger side of my engine engulf in Fire. Luckily someone stopped and help put the fire out before it started to spread. Got home barely, lifted the car and turns out to be my positive wire was what popped cause it was laying on my exhaust manifold. The heat from the exhaust manifold melted my positive wire which caused the flame. Newbie me, i remember that when i put my starter on, i tightened that wire to the starter a certain angle which was rubbing on the exhaust manifold the whole time. Now i have a melted positive and ground wire. My luck. First my Z06 now my Z28. Im writing this so that yall are aware to double check yalls work especially when messing with wires. Luckily i saved my car and am able to replace the wires. I have tooken off that starter and reinstalled it so many times and all it took was one screw up that could of costed me my car.
tooken off that starter, hah.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car. Glad you didnt lose it. Looks real clean.