Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat size question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat size question

I just bought two of the magnaflow metallic spun cats on ebay that are 2.75 inlet/outlet. I wanted to get 3" but there were none available, now I see that there are some available and I'm wondering if I should return them to get the bigger size.

What I want to do is run longtubes that go to cats with a Y-pipe setup to a flowmaster merge. I want to use the 3" inlet / 4" outlet merge sold on summit. Can I get this to work or am I sacrificing power and should I just get the 3" cats?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you've answered you're own question. Going down a size creates the restriction...trade up.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

No matter what in Cali, if the Cats moved location from stock you are illegal; especially with long tubes! IIRC, all long tubes are illegal in Cali for the 4th Gen F-Body. Unless you have all the bolt-ons, cam/heads, etc that make you illegal in Cali anyway(off-road only), a 2.75 in/out Cat is not going to do anything you should be worried about. Well...because it is considered an off-road only race car (drag, auto-x, RR, etc...) If your car is a DD or weekend warrior, you need to follow your liberal, *** kiss'n states rules OR know soneone who will pass you with a few "greenbascks." NOT wetbacks, but "Greenbacks!"
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shadow1999
No matter what in Cali, if the Cats moved location from stock you are illegal; especially with long tubes! IIRC, all long tubes are illegal in Cali for the 4th Gen F-Body. Unless you have all the bolt-ons, cam/heads, etc that make you illegal in Cali anyway(off-road only), a 2.75 in/out Cat is not going to do anything you should be worried about. Well...because it is considered an off-road only race car (drag, auto-x, RR, etc...) If your car is a DD or weekend warrior, you need to follow your liberal, *** kiss'n states rules OR know soneone who will pass you with a few "greenbascks." NOT wetbacks, but "Greenbacks!"
I want to run cats on my car because I plan to find a shop that will ignore the visual. If I can't, I'll hold onto my stock equipment and switch it out. I also don't really want a ticket for not having any cats which I hear can be quite a hefty fine.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I would definitely go up to the 3", especially as you are going with the FM 3/4" merge. Why choke down a very free-flowing system?