Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a bad ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Default Got a bad ground

alright. car has been running fine since I got her back together and all of a sudden I burnt a ground strap from my block to frame. I replaced the the strap and when I go to turn the car over it gets hot as hell. I checked my ground side from my battery and found a loose cable on my starter. After I tightened it though it was the same thing.

Took the starter to get checked but it was completely fine... I checked all my positive side wires to make sure they didn't ground anywhere but couldn't find any. I even checked the alternator. At a loss guys...may even be the wrong forum but any help is going to be appreciated...Getting a little frustrated.
Old 01-19-2011 | 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by STFU racing
...and when I go to turn the car over it gets hot as hell.
What exactly is getting hot?

Originally Posted by STFU racing
...I checked my ground side from my battery and found a loose cable on my starter...
Ground cable to starter? I don't think so!
Old 01-20-2011 | 02:04 PM
On The Tree

the ground cable that is running from the block to the frame is getting extremely hot.

no I don't mean a ground wire directly from battery to starter. I just meant as I was checking all wires I happen to find that one loose but that wasn't the issue.
Old 01-20-2011 | 02:09 PM
Launching!

Have you tried a larger ground strap?
Old 01-20-2011 | 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

The wire would only get hot if power was being pulled through it. Does it (the ground) get hot when the starter is off the car? I would start disconnecting stuff to narrow it down. Start with the main cables at the battery. I recently replaced all mine as I was having intermittent starting and charging problems and I always had a dead battery. I ran 5 new cables: battery ground to fender, battery ground to motor, battery hot to starter, battery hot to remote/aux terminal, battery hot to alternator. Things have been great ever since.
Old 01-20-2011 | 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like this ground wire may have a bad connection or an intermittent break. ..