Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car dies on acceleration

I just put a set of Hooker long tube headers on my 98Z. Drove the car and everything was great. My long term fuel trims were in the 40s, so I started to do some tuning. Got the fuel trims in at +3. Car seemed to run real strong. Made a couple changes and drove the car to work today. I was scanning it, so I made a WOT pull. Ran great. Was getting on the freeway, gave it a little gas, and everything cut out. All my dash lights were blinking,gauges started going crazy, and had little to no power. I pull over, turned the car off, fired it back up, gave it some gas to get going, same thing. I pulled into the gas station thinking it was something in the tune. Put the original back in, and same thing. Its like Im losing total power since my trip meter keeps resetting to 0 each time it does it. I limped the car home. It seemed to run fine under very light accel. I hit a bump and it shut off again. I accidently started out in 2nd gear once and it cut out. It idles at about 1100rpm. Anyone have any suggestions what could knock the whole electrical system out? THe only sensors I worked with were the o2s. Thanks!
Adam
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any SES lights? Check wires running from the starter, all ground wires, and both battery terminal connections. A loose ground wire can cause all sorts of hell. By no means are these the only possible causes, but I'd check those out first.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank u! Ill check that when I get home in the morning. I was scanning when I happened so I'm hoping it caught something. I'm assuming since the car lost all electrical power that it didn't catch everything. But a little glimpse would be nice!

Quick Reply: Car dies on acceleration