Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP loss with dana 60s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the graph i see here and an artical i found in a magazine(GM Hight-Tech) looks like the dana 60s cost about 15rwhp.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheap price for immortality
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

It’s my understanding that aftermarket (Strange, Moser, properly fabbed, etc) nine inch housings are much stronger than the OEM housings from Ford. It would also make sense that if a nine inch housing’s axle tubes can flex, so can they in a S60 housing.

The big difference is the nine inch housing has the additional pinion support bearing.

Yep. The S60 has a bigger ring gear. Is it that much of an advantage over the nine inch rear to justify the extra weight and it’s additional power loss? Plus, the nine inch rear has a drop out center section.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm 99% sure that I read that Strange claims like 2500 hp being the power threshold on the S60 (with a spool). Strange advertises that the case and caps are nodular iron, one piece center, and fully welded tubes. I guess those things are different than the factory Danas

I'd also have to guess that the axles don't flex as much because they're actually bigger. The S60 axle tubes are so much thicker that they raise the car up by about an inch when you install it. You can actually get a Dana 60 with gun drilled 40 spline axles.

I'm sure someone makes a backbrace for a Dana 60, but I don't think it's neccessary. If people are bangin out 8 second 1/4s and nasty bumper planting 60 foots off two-steps and trans brakes then I doubt there's much of an issue.

Eric at MWC told me that he makes a back brace for his Fab9, but it's something that's made into it and you need to order it while it's being built. I forget what power level he said it starts becoming necessary. The two big reasons bracket racers love to use 9 inches are that you can have spare centers which can be modded easily, and they're lighter than Dana's. I think the MidWest Fab 9 weighs as much as our 10 bolts and if you get it with an aluminum center it weighs less than a 10 bolt.

Quick Reply: HP loss with dana 60s?