Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX ls1 or 6.0 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default FIX ls1 or 6.0 swap?

Ok my Z seems to be hurt.. Looks like Im getting antifreeze in my oil. Car runs perfectly fine no smoke. But there is alot of milk around the cap and when I checked the oil to day it was light brown and milk . The radiator is low..

Im the kind of person that doesnt like to fix things back to stock.. If I have to make a repair its gonna be worth it .. So low on cash at the time from buying a new truck I dont exactly have the coin to drop on a bad *** head cam combo . Im thinking over the summer Ill gather parts and go for it by fall.. What would be cheaper? swap or head and cam..

1)I was thinking buying a used 6.0 truck motor and buying a turbo cam oil pump and so on and swapping it in then later on putting a turbo kit on it.

2)Ive not done a headjob on a fbody but it looks like a pain in the *** and I dont see arp studs being used unless I drop the motor out so on that note mite as well had some cubes.. Then later on going through the ls1 and swapping into my 86 monte ..

ls1 has 170k

Opinions and info o the swap greatly appreciated..
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, if you want more cubes, do it.
just do the swap, and don't look back
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda in the same boat,for the price you can get a lq4,lq9 block its pretty cheap these days,but it really all depends on what your plans are,if your going turbo or big shot of spray I would go for the 6.0,but the ls1 is still a great motor in my case I'm just thinking about keeping the ls1,just gonna do bearings,rod bolts,and a few other lil odds and ends ,but the spray factor makes me lean more towards the iron block,but its not a crazy shot though,but I'm sure it will turn into one,yeah if something breaks I always upgrade to something better also,
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're gonna do it slowly, I'd go with the 6.0 block. But it really just depends on what you want to spend. I have seen really great deals on the rotating assembly for both blocks.
You can always freshen up your engine and then sale it to recoup money for your 6.0 build. Or, drop the money directly into the LS1 and save a couple hundred from not needing to buy a block.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

more cubes is always good and ls2s arent too expensive.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Buddy did a 6.0 swap from a Escalade after blowing his LS1...Cost wise I believe he did very well..the motors arent that expensive w/ good mileage.

Quick Reply: FIX ls1 or 6.0 swap?