Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust help

So I want to do the 3" true dual conversion however I am in a predicament. Currently the car has longtubes, a nice cam, no cats, and a offroad Y pipe into a muffler at the rear. It is so loud that I fear my neighbors are going to hire a sniper due to me leaving for work at 0500 in the morning.

Is there a way I can do a true dual conversion however put some high flow cats on to take some of the bite down? I don't think it would be as bad if it didn't have a 3800 stall and sound like its about to start the countdown sequence when just moving out of the garage.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anytime you want to cut some noise down adding resonators is a great way to do it. Sometimes you have to be creative in how to add resonators to an exhaust, but if if you're getting True Duals built they can do it in two seconds. Also resonators should not add much if any restriction to the exhaust. Now, if you're thinking about some nice cats that's going to chop down a ton of noise but obviously they're not going to flow as good as straight pipes, and it's going to be far more complicated as to how and where you can fit them in.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True duals don't have to be loud, they just get that reputation because the TSP duals that everyone buys are dumped and come with what can't honestly be called mufflers. If you run your duals out the back and put proper mufflers on them, they can be every bit as quiet as a Y-pipe and catback setup.