Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Back exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Back exhaust ?

I have a Base Trans AM. I have done a search and a lot of reading and getting a lot of strange answers. One site I read, said that an LS1 Trans Am or Camaro would not see any gains from a CatBack system such as Hooker or Magnaflow. Another said something similar, but it said that this was only true on WS6 and SS equipped vehicles. Did the SS and WS6 cars actually come with a different exhaust that really flowed that much better than the Base TAs and Maros? The one cutaway I saw on this site of a stock muffler looked extremely restrictive so I don't see how you couldn't see like around at least a 5rwhp gain. Hope somebody can clear this up for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will see some increase over your factory exhaust. The amount is debatable. depends on the car, the exhaust, weather etc but it will help in the quest for more horsepower.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88gtman
I have a Base Trans AM. I have done a search and a lot of reading and getting a lot of strange answers. One site I read, said that an LS1 Trans Am or Camaro would not see any gains from a CatBack system such as Hooker or Magnaflow. Another said something similar, but it said that this was only true on WS6 and SS equipped vehicles. Did the SS and WS6 cars actually come with a different exhaust that really flowed that much better than the Base TAs and Maros? The one cutaway I saw on this site of a stock muffler looked extremely restrictive so I don't see how you couldn't see like around at least a 5rwhp gain. Hope somebody can clear this up for me.
I'm not sure where your getting your info....but a catback flows more freely than a stocker...hence hp gains...just like you take out your stock air setup, replace it with any cold air intake=hp gains...make sense...

free up air flow....realese hp... just serch the forums on this site....don't go back to the wherever you got that 100% false information...that doesn't even make sense and you should know that.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't the WS6's and SS's come from the factory with some form of SLP exhaust or something? I mean wouldn't that be like already having an aftermarket catback?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88gtman
Didn't the WS6's and SS's come from the factory with some form of SLP exhaust or something? I mean wouldn't that be like already having an aftermarket catback?
only if the ws6 had the slp option
other wise I don't think so...

if your base like I was..you def. want a catback.....less restrictive/sound/appearance....
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only Firehawk's and SS's came with an optional dual dual system. I'm under the impression that ws6's came with a standard catback and ss's without aditional slp options came with a standard catback as well with polished rolled tips.

I'm pretty sure no ws6's came with any form of slp catback from the factory.

And getting back on topic, OP you will gain power with virtually any Catback system you decide to go with. To suggest a couple Hooker aerochamber, magnaflow, corsa, gmmg, slp, etc...