Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust is too loud :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I wouldn't change it. Just take it easy and don't rev it so no one has a reason to change. I just wouldn't put the money out to change something that you like b/c of what other people might think. Put a sign on your car that says "Protected by shotgun 4 days a week. You guess which 4"
Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Put a sign on your car that says "Protected by shotgun 4 days a week. You guess which 4"
LMAO
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Get a quiet catback, like a Hooker, maybe a bullet in the I pipe and possibly cats. Then just get an e-cutout.

I have an ORY, LT's and a Hooker on a cammed car and it's relatively quiet. I live in an Apt. complex and leave at 6:30am. I start the car with the cutout closed and the garage door closed. As soon as the idle stablizes I'll open the door and roll out at idle the best I can (but you are stalled). I still get a little stink eye from a couple of neighbors, but no one has complained...

The first 10-15 seconds of start up is what will rock people out of their sleep and make babys cry. (see cold start vid in sig)

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 03-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

My work has me going in and coming home at all hours. I am running a big cam no cats and had bullets then one chambers. When my neighbors commented in a nice way I figured to stay ahead And got a catback. Still no cats. Or if you really want to keep duals. Fab ups system to exit out the rear. The additional piping with certain tips. Does change the sound.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think my problem may be solved. My gf recently bought another Honda (only bought it to learn to drive a 5spd but wouldn't listen to me at the time cause I told her that's the only reason she wants it) and she no longer drives it and wants to sell it. Well I'm gonna drive it till she sells it and that should give me plenty of time to figure out what I'm gonna do. I'm kinda still leaning towards getting the catback exhaust once I figure out what brand I want. I like the sound of my car but that's not saying o won't with a catback. Plus I can put a e-cutout behind the y pipe to male up for the quietness .
Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

loud pipes save lives
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a v8 its meant to sound mean and loud...if they get pissed tell them to get over it. I am running open headers on my car until my new TD's get here and i crank her up in the morning at 5 and 6am when i go to work and havent had any complains(knock on wood) so i think you should be ok.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy had a '99 SS with the Texas-Speed H/C package (V2 and 5.3 heads), not sure of the specifics but anyways...

On his, he had LTs, hi-flo cats, and the Borlamouth and it sounded DAMN good! On my white '99 Z, its a factory longblock with Mac hi-flo cats, SLP Y, and SLP LoudMouth 1, with factory exhaust manifolds. His car was noticeably louder at idle, but standing behind both, you could still hear my car as well. So it wasn't that big of a difference. I can tell you anything over 2k RPMs and that SS was straight roaring though! So my vote goes to the Borlamouth, and if you want to be extra cautious, throw on some cats...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Get cats, will make it quiet by just enough
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my plan has possibly failed. Cant insure her car with out either her being on the policy (extra cash) or me registering the car under my name and she prolly wont go for either. So in the next few days ima going to try to trade or sell my TD's most likely. Thanks for all the opinions guys
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not trying to be a dick, but I hope she's "the one" otherwise you'll regret getting rid of your **** later if it doesn't work out for you. You already spent your money bro don't **** away more on a totally diff system just throw on some cats......
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps you could speak to her neighbors in advance and ask if they personally have a problem with it if you promise to keep it as quiet as possible while in the area. No revving and whatnot. Most people really won't mind if you talk just talk to them about it and do what you can to make it as quiet as possible.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
Perhaps you could speak to her neighbors in advance and ask if they personally have a problem with it if you promise to keep it as quiet as possible while in the area. No revving and whatnot. Most people really won't mind if you talk just talk to them about it and do what you can to make it as quiet as possible.
This also is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Exhaust is too loud :(