Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Y?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which Y?

I kust bought a set of hooker lt's for my 01 T/A. So now my question is i live in colorado and emissions is a problem I need a y. And i want to put cats in it and be able to remove the cats when i dont have to go in for emissions. So should i buy a cheap y pipe or just have one built? That way i can pull the cats in and out.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider having a custom Y done. A lot of members on this site like the flowmaster merge. If your going to wanna switch between cats and off road pipes you may want to look into doing a V-band set up or some kind of flange set up. I've had to switch between cats and ORY a few times and the slip fit band clamp connections are a bitch.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well luckly for me i have to replace the collectors anyway so i was thinking about having a flanged collector put on to replace it. good idea or not?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this Y-pipe is still available, but is pretty much exactly what you're looking for...

http://speed-eng.com/store/jet-hot-y...03f66f0933e6a9

This is the Y-pipe I currently have mated to the Jet Hot LTs on my Firebird. It doesn't have the greatest merge on it, but it tucks up under the body the best of any 3" Aftermarket Y for these cars.

If you can't get your hands on this specific Y, I recommend purchasing a Catted Y from Texas Speed (or a similarly designed Y) and forget you even have cats. High Flow cats affect on performance is minimal at best. You may be giving up 5 HP. Unless you're looking the scrape every pony outta your car, I say find a Y with high flow cats and call it a day.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do like that set up its pretty sweet and it looks to me that they still sell it. I will probably have to save up to get that nice piece though. See what i can work out to get that.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that looks bad about that Y is the merge.