Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running with knock sensors disconected??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running with knock sensors disconected??

I am in the middle of swapping engine and tranny and I was looking at the engine I bought to put in, bought it from a member on here, and under the intake, there is nothing coming out of the valley cover. The holes are sealed up, no wires. Motor is an 02 ls1.

Can I run this engine and just leave the connector for the knock sensors tied up and not run sensors at all? I read during a search that these sensors create their own electric current when knock is sensed and send that current to the pcm, is it safe to say that if it is just left unhooked it will be ok?

Will be getting a good tune once I am finished with this project.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KSLAYR73
I am in the middle of swapping engine and tranny and I was looking at the engine I bought to put in, bought it from a member on here, and under the intake, there is nothing coming out of the valley cover. The holes are sealed up, no wires. Motor is an 02 ls1.

Can I run this engine and just leave the connector for the knock sensors tied up and not run sensors at all? I read during a search that these sensors create their own electric current when knock is sensed and send that current to the pcm, is it safe to say that if it is just left unhooked it will be ok?

Will be getting a good tune once I am finished with this project.
well Im sure you know you're definitely gonna get check engine light and whatever else decides to light up on start up but i would for sure get the tune ASAP to get all that tuned out.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

you can get the knock sensors tuned out, however its a large safety net to run them, if your tune is a bit radical or you get a bad batch of gas one day then you could detonate the motor and kill it. id think for the bit of hassle itd be to put them back in and get them hooked up it would be worth it. would be much easier to tune with the knock sensors giving you some feedback aswell.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

I can pull them from my old motor I guess, just kind of on the fence whether to do it or not. They didn't have these things on the old small blocks but then nothing was computer contolled then either. I will ask my tuner to see what he thinks. I was just wondering if anyone has or is running without them and if they had any issues other than codes.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Do it right.....you may also be able to relocate them to the side of the block if you desire. But pulling the intake isn't hard so I'd put them back.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hook those things back up! Holy cow you could really grenade the engine.....

this is random, but do the 03-04 cobra guys not have knock sensors??
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

alot of the fords dont run a knock sensor, but thats also why ive seen hundreds of them that detonate, you get a bad batch of gas or a bit of carbon build up in the cylinders and they detonate like crazy, if you can run the sensors definately put them back, its cheap insurance IMO against killing that motor that you put lots of time and money into.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I am going to go ahead and pull them from my old motor and put them in. Won't be that hard, I have everything apart already anyway, was just wondering if there was a particular reason why anyone would not run them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone running with knock sensors disconected??