Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods for mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you don't care about power, why mod it? Say you spend 1200 on bolt ons, that's on the cheap also, and gain 1.5 mpg.. even at 4$ a gallon, how long will it take to trade off?
The car currently gets 24-25 mpg based upon what the previous owner told me. It did not have the skip shift bypassed, and had SES lights for the air injection system/EGR. I got the SES lights cleared out by fixing the issues the car had and a skip shift eliminator put in so hopefully that will bring the mpg up some. The exhaust is leaking on the car, looks like the previous owner tried to put some sort of putty on it to keep it from leaking. I'm only replacing what needs to be fixed on the car. I just want to see what other people have added to their cars that coincidentally improved MPG. The ram air kits aren't that expensive anyway so its something I don't feel bad about splurging on. The reasoning for purchasing this car was I wanted a car that I would enjoy driving daily. I have other hod rods for weekend toys.

If I go from the 25 mpg I'm getting now to 32, it would take about 81 tanks of fuel to recoup the cost of dumping 1200 in mods, which at the rate I drive, would be 1 tank per week, so about a 1.5 year payback. I don't plan on selling the car so in my mind it would be worth it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Keep the 3.42s, full tune up, clean your air filter, new 02 sensors and change your fuel filter

With my cam only making 419 RWHP (M6) i was able to pull 26 mpg on the hwy
Originally Posted by garygnu
higher tire press ,a tune,and a custom cam.stock gm lobes are not the best,try comp 54-408-11.E85 don't burn quicker,alcohol has half the BTU of gas and needs more timing ,and cost alot to convert to.E85 is great for forced induction.
Originally Posted by joker machine
starting cutting weight,that will help mpg
Originally Posted by jthunderz28
How could I forget 02 Sensors. Those are huge when it comes to gas mileage. Check those as well or just swap them out to rule out that messing with your mpg.
Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
UDP and EWP
Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I would stick with a lid, catback, and maybe a TB and leave it at that. I had setup like that and got 31 on the highway. But although some simple mods help the majority of the MPG is going to be in driving habits
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, any modification that adds power with exception of cam, and supercharger should also make mpg go up. Intake, exhaust, better flowing heads, all make the engine more efficient which is why they make more power. A cam will hold valves open longer to add power so that actually draws more air/fuel which should hurt mpg to a degree.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, I'd also ditch the K&N and get a reusable dry flow air filter, clean the MAFS, check the intake for oil build-up. If there is anything more than a very minor oil build-up I'd add a catch-can, and clean the oil out of the intake and intake ports on the heads, and upgrading to a LS6 intake wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Japanese 4 banger. I hate to say it, but my mother gets 38mpg highway and 24mpg city in her Nissan Sentra. I get 16mpg city and 24mpg highway (on a LONG TRIP) in my A4. Not to mention you're putting premium in your LS1 (hopefully!) and a little commuter car runs on regular and can get decent MPG improvements from a universal air filter and maybe a couple free mods. Driving your LS1 commuter is going to cost way more in the long run when it comes to tires, gas, and overall maintenance. Modding is an addiction, and if you could get MPGs out of a heads/cam/turbo combo, you'd lie to yourself saying your gonna buy parts for "gas mileage" I know it's cool to drive your V8 around and always have power on tap, but for the miles you're going, a little beater car on the weekdays, will save tons of money for modding the LS1s on the weekends. Not to mention your MPGs goes to crap when a Mustang GT lines up with you...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of things not mentioned here - some will cost money as a true mod, some will simply be replacing worn parts

1st - reduce rotating mass as much as possible. An aluminum flywheel & light pressure plate combo, 16" alloy rims, and a skinnier front tire (225 or 235 for example) will work well on a dd.

2nd - (already mentioned) static weight. Remove whatever you do not need/can live without

3rd - ditch the shift assist - it's there for emissions not mileage (the two don't always go hand and hand).

4th - when you get it tuned, ask your tuner to modify your dfco (de-accel fuel cut off) to something more aggressive

5th - driver mod is, as others have mentioned, probably the most important aspect to mileage. Rely on cruise often, and dfco as a way to slow your vehicle

6th - If your driving over 45 mph, you'll actually make better mileage with your a/c on as apposed to your windows down or t tops off.

Many other good points here, with the exception of the import car suggestion... They are nice if the ONLY thing you care about is mileage or you are into them, but if you enjoy f body's and keep it close to stock, you can get good gas mileage with good power when you want to use it. The sporty imports from the last decade aren't even that impressive for mileage. My GFs '04 Acura TSX gets 28mpg highway with a 5 speed auto - which was exactly what my TA was getting in completely stock form when I bought it...

Quick Reply: mods for mpg