Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsp Catted y pipe bad clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsp Catted y pipe bad clearance?

Im hoping someone can tell me what the deal is with my Tsp catted y pipe. I just installed that and pacesetter long tubes, everything else is stock and im really not happy with the ground clearance. Im hoping i installed a pipe at a bad angle. The problem is on the drivers side, something just doesn't look right Let me know what you guys think. Also if anybody has close up pictures of their TSP catted y pipe on the drivers side id really appreciate it.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

These hang really low. I had mine cut up and repositioned to give some more ground clearance but it still scrapes even on minor speed bumps.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Teching In

My car has a hooker ory that I had magnaflow cats welded into and it looks really similar as far a clearence goes (really, really low).
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Damn, i knew i was going to lose some clearance but i didt think id be sacrificing this much.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bet you could turn some of the piping and adjust it to fit a little better. I know the catted Y comes in the same sections I think that the ORY like I have, and mine is quite a bit closer to the body on the driver side. In fact at first it was TOO close, haha even with prothane motor mounts it banged the floor, and hit the torque arm.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch that U-bolt clamp ASAP. If you do scrape it's going to take the clamp off. Get band clamps.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Ditch that U-bolt clamp ASAP. If you do scrape it's going to take the clamp off. Get band clamps.
Agreed!
Band clamps look better and will also allow you to get the pipes tucked up closer to the body.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00SSChevy
Im hoping someone can tell me what the deal is with my Tsp catted y pipe. I just installed that and pacesetter long tubes, everything else is stock and im really not happy with the ground clearance. Im hoping i installed a pipe at a bad angle. The problem is on the drivers side, something just doesn't look right Let me know what you guys think. Also if anybody has close up pictures of their TSP catted y pipe on the drivers side id really appreciate it.

i have the same exact problem on mine, im running hookers wit that same tsp catted y, and i hit everything too, im really thinking of ditching that pipe and running the off road y instead to get my clearance back
Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you lowered? Doesn't look like friendly clearance
Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baalic
Are you lowered? Doesn't look like friendly clearance

nope stock suspension..i feel like it should be up higher?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn, i'm lowered almost two inches and that's about the same clearance i have with TSP true duals.....i would definitely get band clamps like suggested above, i bough a few from summit, they will help tuck everything up a little further.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SSChevy
nope stock suspension..i feel like it should be up higher?
Same thing here, im on a stock ride height, and i wanna lower the car eventually so im getting rid of it
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get some band clamps and you should be able to tuck it up a little higher.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man, looks like my LSXetreme headers and catted Y, god damn thing would drag on pebbles in the road, at stock ride height....I never did fix mine, but band clamps and some cutting may have...I notice your over the axle pipe hangs pretty low as well, mine did there too...best of luck.

I would check ws6store.com for some bandclamps.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the exact same position as you. The TSP catted Y-pipe is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. I'm at stock ride height with LTs using band clamps and I have the same clearance as you. Not only that, but it fits like absolute garbage; I had to use a pipe expander just to get one of the pipes to fit over the drivers side header (Hooker LT's). I also had to unbolt my catback support bolt to push it back farther just to get the damn thing to fit together so now when I go over bumps my catback bangs around. I'll never buy anything from TSP again, this thing has literally caused me agony being under the car all the time trying to get the POS higher. I can't even get out of the driveway without scraping something. BUYER BEWARE- THIS IS THE CHEAPEST CATTED Y ON THE MARKET YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
I'm in the exact same position as you. The TSP catted Y-pipe is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. I'm at stock ride height with LTs using band clamps and I have the same clearance as you. Not only that, but it fits like absolute garbage; I had to use a pipe expander just to get one of the pipes to fit over the drivers side header (Hooker LT's). I also had to unbolt my catback support bolt to push it back farther just to get the damn thing to fit together so now when I go over bumps my catback bangs around. I'll never buy anything from TSP again, this thing has literally caused me agony being under the car all the time trying to get the POS higher. I can't even get out of the driveway without scraping something. BUYER BEWARE- THIS IS THE CHEAPEST CATTED Y ON THE MARKET YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
One of the reasons I did not go with a pacesetter/TSP Y setup. That and insane shipping costs from TSP.

Hope you figure something out, seems like you should cut out the cats and merge pipe and go to a muffler shop and have em bend/weld something custom with better clearance.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
One of the reasons I did not go with a pacesetter/TSP Y setup. That and insane shipping costs from TSP.

Hope you figure something out, seems like you should cut out the cats and merge pipe and go to a muffler shop and have em bend/weld something custom with better clearance.
No doubt. I actually bought my TSP (terrible shitty pipes) Y from speed-inc because they had it for the same price as TSP but offered free shipping. Still not even close to worth it. Unfortunately for me I refuse to go ORY otherwise I'd be in it for a lot cheaper and a lot less headache..
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
i feel ur pain bro, im going thru the same thing rite now, gonna get an OFR Y
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have pretty decent clearance with my TSP Catted-Y, I spent alot of time with it to get it to where it is, and have no issues with speed bumps. I'm planning on having it welded up in the next month or so..

Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2DMNFST
I have pretty decent clearance with my TSP Catted-Y, I spent alot of time with it to get it to where it is, and have no issues with speed bumps. I'm planning on having it welded up in the next month or so..

Yea mine seems a little lower than yours, i plan on seeing if i can adjust it a little more to tuck it up. What kind of tunnel brace are you running by the way i tried to put on my BMR one after the install but it wasnt even close to fitting.

Quick Reply: Tsp Catted y pipe bad clearance?