Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT headers hitting subframe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT headers hitting subframe?

hey guys i just installed my hooker LTs in my 00 z28 and got a custom 3 inch y pipe to my borla catback and i had a question. when me and my friend installed them there was maybe a cm of room between headers and sub frame. now when i shift at a high rpm( 5900) or turn quicker i feel like a kick in the back, and my friend was sayin that they are hittin the subframe? does this sound right. if soo what can i do? i was thinkin that if i sand down the frame a little bit by the header? thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a big freakin hammer to your subframe..or perhaps motor mounts? I had the same bs problem with my hooker lts...then i went with pacesetter and they fit perfect. hooker welds their collectors like ****!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28oc91
hey guys i just installed my hooker LTs in my 00 z28 and got a custom 3 inch y pipe to my borla catback and i had a question. when me and my friend installed them there was maybe a cm of room between headers and sub frame. now when i shift at a high rpm( 5900) or turn quicker i feel like a kick in the back, and my friend was sayin that they are hittin the subframe? does this sound right. if soo what can i do? i was thinkin that if i sand down the frame a little bit by the header? thanks in advance for any input!
yes, you have to take a grinder with a cutoff wheel and notch a small area of the subframe out where its stamped together. its extra material and isnt structural altering in any way.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any body have pix?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a dick but should be self explanatory. Just slide the drivers side header in place and start front header bolt hand snug then do this with another near the rear of header flange notice when header tube hits the k member and grind there. It should be a piece of what I call extra metal where two halves are mashed together leaving a lip sticking out an inch or two twoads the middle of the car. Thats the best I can explain it. I also have poly mm and I installed them before the headers so my clearance might be different than another car with sagging stock mounts but cant say for sure.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure sounds like someone forgot to replace their motor mounts... How many mi. on the car?