Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fuel Pump question

Right now I'm running completely stock fuel system other than 42lb injectors on my Trans Am. Its heads, cam, and I'm gonna be adding a FAST 102. If I go ahead and have my car tuned and I add a higher flow pump like a racetronix with the hot wire kit later will I have to have it retuned because of more fuel pressure or will I be ok ? thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump assembly maintains the maximum pressure.........whatever it is........55pds i think????......so no......you dont need a tune for the fuel pump.......BUT you do need a tune for the BIGGER injectors
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got a mail order in it all ready for the 42s until i can get it to the tuner. Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 05:33 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fuel pump is supposed to operate at the same pressure of an LS pump so you should not have to retune if the car is already tuned for the injectors.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on how your fuel pressure situation is now. If you can hold 58psi at all loads then a new pump won't affect the tune. However, I highly doubt you're really holding full pressure at max fueling (WOT, High MAP, High RPM) on the stock pump with what sounds like a ~450rwhp build. In reality it's probably pulling down, perhaps several psi, and the racetronix is going to do a lot better at keeping that pressure constant. Because of that you're going to be off, and the gap will be worst at high loads when you'll be in PE (open loop) with no way to correct that difference other than re-tuning. It will send you richer, so it will be safe, but it could be off enough to cost you some power.