Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold / TB Swap For Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intake Manifold / TB Swap For Dummies

I've been searching for information about swapping intake manifolds, going to an LS6, FAST 78mm, New Pro Products 85mm, or BBK 85mm, and while I've found lots of information about them I haven't been able to find answers to a couple basic questions.

My Formula is the first car I'll be heavily (relatively) modifying so I was wondering what other components will be necessary to install these intake manifolds? I have read conflicting information regarding coolant lines, plugs, and other stuff for the LS6 manifold. Can anyone give me more (and accurate) information of what needs replaced for an intake swap and will that be for any aftermarket intake?

I would also like to know if a new throttle body is necessary for the intakes listed above. I know that you can P/P the stock throttle body but is it possible to mate and run a stock TB to those manifolds?

I know Mike Morris offered to help with the install since he has experience doing it so I'm not too worried about the install itself but what is the average time to complete the swap?

Obviously a tune is preferable but would the car drive fine (mild-to moderately aggressive style) until a tune? I'm waiting until TSP releases their headers and catted y-pipe in Stainless, at that point I would get a Frost or RPM mail street tune.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I've been searching for information about swapping intake manifolds, going to an LS6, FAST 78mm, New Pro Products 85mm, or BBK 85mm, and while I've found lots of information about them I haven't been able to find answers to a couple basic questions.

My Formula is the first car I'll be heavily (relatively) modifying so I was wondering what other components will be necessary to install these intake manifolds? I have read conflicting information regarding coolant lines, plugs, and other stuff for the LS6 manifold. Can anyone give me more (and accurate) information of what needs replaced for an intake swap and will that be for any aftermarket intake?

I would also like to know if a new throttle body is necessary for the intakes listed above. I know that you can P/P the stock throttle body but is it possible to mate and run a stock TB to those manifolds?

I know Mike Morris offered to help with the install since he has experience doing it so I'm not too worried about the install itself but what is the average time to complete the swap?

Obviously a tune is preferable but would the car drive fine (mild-to moderately aggressive style) until a tune? I'm waiting until TSP releases their headers and catted y-pipe in Stainless, at that point I would get a Frost or RPM mail street tune.
A lot of the little stuff i've had to find for my intake swap was:

New valley cover bolts M8-1.25 x 30mm SS button head cap screws. I got mine from fastenal, but someone recommended boltdepot.com

New Gaskets. These will vary depending on the intake you get. If you buy a BBK it should already come with them. If you buy a used Ls6 the gaskets are O-ring type and I would think most parts stores have them.

LS6 coolant crossover lines and block offs. I posted a WTB thread and got them from a guy on here fairly quickly. Also, Texas speed has them for sale for an LS1 to LS6 Manifold swap.

you can use your stock TB, just get another gasket incase yours is toast. The guy that helped install my headers had one laying around so I bought it from him and ported it myself.

Yes it will run just fine without a tune. There are guys on here with full bolt ons untuned. IDK why they wouldn't get a tune but if it works so be it.

Also, depending on the intake, you may need new bolts to secure it. It really depends on which intake you get.

If you want to get some good insight on the install:

www.ls1howto.com

Weiand also has some good intake swap instructions available online.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/.../199R10267.pdf

Good luck man!