Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter problems

Finally finishing the engine swap in my truck. Had a 4.3/5 speed in the truck from the factory, pulled the 4.3 out and dropped an LS6 in. Kept the 5 speed, it's a NVG 3500. Used a 4.8 5-speed flywheel. I know, probably not the best choice, don't plan on driving the hell out of it constantly so I think it should be ok for now. When it grenades I'll get a T56. Anyway I'm having a hell of a time getting a starter to work. The face of the nose cone, where the pinion is hits the flywheel, also looks like the gear will drag after the engine is running. I've tried about 3 different ones and can't get the right one that will work. Luckily I work at a GM dealer so trying them and sending them back ins't an issue. I've tried all different truck starters. Originally I think the one was off a CTS-V. Now I have a Corvette one and an F body coming, thinking the F body might be the same as the V starter. Getting frustrated! Not sure if I need an aftermarket one or not. Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the fly wheel the same as an ls? not just tooth count ,but if it has an offset? just throwing things out there..
Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried a starter for a 00 truck 4.8 5 speed ?
That's what it should take.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Match the starter to the flywheel, whatever the flywheel came from get the starter for that application.

Don't the trucks use some sort of spacer for the flywheel that the cars don't? Something in that area could be the problem as well.