Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine miss firing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Engine miss firing.

I have a 98 Z28 M6. I have a miss in cylinder 5. Its cut way down on my power and i cant get it. Ive changed the coil, plug, wire, and injector. Its still showing miss in Cylinder 5 . Anyone have any ideas?.... I had this in the newbie section but after reading this section seemed more fitting. Someone told me to pull a valve cover and check things out. Which i will do ,but i work a lot with very few days off. So I was wondering if anyone has had this happen or knew what is the problem. Thanks.... And btw I have true duals on my car, you can hear the miss at idle behind the car. If i rev it just alittle you can really hear the miss. But there isnt any noises coming from under the hood.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You NEED to pull the valve cover and see if the rocker arms for that cylinder are moving...or...take out the spark plug and do a compression test either way you need to DO SOMTHING no matter how many hours you work or the car may stop working all togother. Whatever it is might get worse. No one here has a crytal ball. Sorry to be so blunt but it could be many things.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the valve cover and see if you have bent a pushrod, being a M6 car it is very easy to bend a stock PR. see if the vlave train is moving, lifter could have turned sideways and wore the lobe off the cam. Then, due a compression test and see where you are.

You can a take a long flat tip screw driver with the car running push the flat end up agaisnt the injector to see if the injector is pulsing.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the help. And be as blunt as you need to be. I havent driven the car since it happened. I think when i get out of work ill pull the cover off. Ill also do a compression test before that. It usually just sits anyway but i hate not being able to drive it at all.