Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Help

So i just finished installing Poly Motor Mounts, American Racing Headers & Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust. I also deleted the AIR/EGR. I wanted to share my thoughts to any New B's or anyone who is contemplating and exhaust system for these cars. This car is not my Daily Driver, so all of my work was done after 6pm during the week night. I started it monday and wrapped it up last night. I really took my time, and made sure not to rush anything

1. Poly Motor Mounts - These were really not as hard as i thought they would be. The biggest thing i would suggest is to be patient and give yourself plenty of time.

2. American Racing Headers & Catted Y-Pipe - I was amazed at how well these fit! I cannot imagine trying to install the Motor Mounts once these headers are installed. There is no way you could get them in without taking the headers out (so if your on the fence, just do the MM's). Anyway, i could not be happier with how well these fit. TOP NOTCH!!!

3. Magnaflow Cat Back - Although quiet at idle, the magnaflow has a nice little bark to it when you get on the throttle. The sound is exactly what i was looking for for now.

4. EGR / AIR delete - Again, pretty simple. The only thing that i screwed up on was that i didnt purchase the EGR Plug for the top of my intake manifold (it should show up today - didnt have the money to buy an LS6 Intake right now).

5. Thanks for all that have responded to some of my questions regarding the exhaust. All in all, i am very happy with my decisions on these items.

Lastly, i do have one final question. Where the y-pipe meets to form the mid pipe on the exhaust, there is a sheet metal cross member that was previously held in by 4 bolts. I do not remember if this was put in place for the Y pipe to rest on this or not. If so, the exhaust would really tuck up nice and tight. However, wouldnt the metal of the pipe rub against the metal of the "cross member"? My neighbor suggested that i just leave it off, however i feel as though it would really help tuck everything up nice and tight!! Any input would be great as i would like to completely tighten everything up today.

Thanks,
Derek
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The sheet metal cross member you are refering to (I believe) are only on our verts and are there to aid in stiffening the chassis. I questioned whether that flimsy thing could do anything. I took a torch and hammer to mine (for clearance) and reinstalled. If you don't already have em, SFC are a must on verts.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u got 50 bucks, get a cutout installed

don't forget about a tune GL op
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

SFC's are sitting on the floor next to the car. They will be installed sunday. I agree, that sheet metal cross member is worthless...do they make an aftermarket one? So you are telling me it has nothing to do with a resting point for the y pipe?

You say you took a torch and hammer to yours? What did you do to it? Doesnt it just unbolt with the four botls? Do you have pics of what you did? I would be curious to see it?

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
The sheet metal cross member you are refering to (I believe) are only on our verts and are there to aid in stiffening the chassis. I questioned whether that flimsy thing could do anything. I took a torch and hammer to mine (for clearance) and reinstalled. If you don't already have em, SFC are a must on verts.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

As for the tune, should i wait until i put an ls6 intake on the car?

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
if u got 50 bucks, get a cutout installed

don't forget about a tune GL op
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is not designed as a 'resting point' or it would rattle/rub.
There are varying opinions as to whether they actually do anything to stiffen.
I figured it couldn't hurt so I wanted to reinstalled. While it was off, I massaged it as to clear the 3" OYP, test fitted, then bolted it back in place. That's been years ago. I may even have spaced it slighty with a washer. No rattle or banging from that location. Sorry no pics

Originally Posted by BLKZ28VERT
SFC's are sitting on the floor next to the car. They will be installed sunday. I agree, that sheet metal cross member is worthless...do they make an aftermarket one? So you are telling me it has nothing to do with a resting point for the y pipe?

You say you took a torch and hammer to yours? What did you do to it? Doesnt it just unbolt with the four botls? Do you have pics of what you did? I would be curious to see it?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed on the Rattle/Rub............which is why i asked the question.

no worries on the pics, thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
It is not designed as a 'resting point' or it would rattle/rub.
There are varying opinions as to whether they actually do anything to stiffen.
I figured it couldn't hurt so I wanted to reinstalled. While it was off, I massaged it as to clear the 3" OYP, test fitted, then bolted it back in place. That's been years ago. I may even have spaced it slighty with a washer. No rattle or banging from that location. Sorry no pics