Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermostat

Putting a Meziere Water Pump on my T/A. The Meziere requires a SBC Theremostat. Well, I already got my housing powdercoated, so I didn't want to cut the tabs off to make the Thermostat fit. I ended up cutting the Thermostat itself, and I went a little overboard and cut too far into the plate, as you can see below.

My question is this...will that be fine? The instructions Meziere sent me said to drill two holes into the plate, so the electric pump isn't pushing against a solid plate when the Thermostat is closed.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like someone needs a new thermostat. The holes you need to drill are small. Make a template and fit it closely, THEN cut your thermostat.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

too big of holes will mean more flow thru the system, ,meaning the coolant can possibly flow too fast thru the system which can cause overheating due to the coolant going thru the radiator so quick it cant dissipate the heat efficiently. Most holes drilled in thermostats are small 1/16 to 1/8. I would follow the instructions, shiny powdercoating is not worth having overheating issues.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i recently put a new meziere pump and called them, and the meziere guy told me not to drill any holes. that the new pumps come with the bypass made into the pump already
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Meziere WP319 EWP the thermostat has been moved to the upper Radiator hose fitting. You remove the stock thermostat from its housing and reinstall housing on the meziere pump. If you remove the top hose fitting you should find a Stat allready installed. If it is not there or you want to use a different temp stat then you want to use a thermostat from an early chevy like a 1988 350 engine. it should have a 54mm stamped in the flange.

Call or email me if you have any questions.
Jerryd@meziere.com

Last edited by 1leg; 08-18-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Thermostat