Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Motor Mounts. Worth it?

So Saturday morning I started a motormount/header install. It took most of the day saturday just to get the old exhaust off, but I expected something similar to that. Sunday afternoon I started on the motor mount job.
Right before I started I debated just skipping and putting the headers in, and putting something between the Y and the floorboard, but I pushed that out of my head and began. My buddy that was gonna help had some family stuff come up, so I was by myself. It took about 2 hours to get the MM bolts out, and another 5 to get the clamshells off the motor.
At this point, I was glad I went ahead and did it. The old rubber mounts only took up about 1/3 of the housing, and were rattling like maracas. Once I got the Poly mounts in, they took up the whole thing, and nothing was moving anywhere.
I spent the rest of the night bolting them back to the motor, and I'm bolting the motor in this evening and starting on the headers.

TL, DR: If you're debating skipping the poly mounts when you install headers, don't. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I kept the rubber ones. I'll get pics up as soon as I'm done. I meant to take some side-by-sides of the mounts, but forgot and put the new ones in.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if you had taken the motor mount pedestals out with the mounts you could have reduced the time by 5 hrs
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the best and cheapest place to get poly motor mounts?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ws6store.com has always been great to me!

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts. Worth it?