Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any news on texas speed headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant wait to get mine, they should be here end of the week or beginning of next week. woot!

havent driven my car since beginning of summer and I cant wait to get these on finally and drive it!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

In for pics of the merge. Or could you jus' answer this question: Is there a venturi spike or are the primaries cut off, then placed in the collector?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
In for pics of the merge. Or could you jus' answer this question: Is there a venturi spike or are the primaries cut off, then placed in the collector?
What do Kook's collectors look like? And Texas Speed, what are your benefits over Kooks?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sommer86
What do Kook's collectors look like? And Texas Speed, what are your benefits over Kooks?
Kooks have a quality venturi spike which is a spike created by the transition from the 4 primaries into the merge collector. I know this is anecdotal evidence and I'm not sure how much this translates to our application but Maryland Speed performed a dyno test measuring Kooks' headers for the 2010-2011 Camaro and the eBay Knock-offs. Both were 1 7/8's and both looked virtually identical on the outside but the main difference was the venturi spike. (Actually, the eBay headers had a poorly constructed venturi spike). On the same car, same day, the Kooks headers and eBay headers made the same peak power but under the curve the Kooks headers picked up 5HP/8TQ.

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 09-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cranny
So if you order headers and y pipe now it will ship with a regular (not stainless) y pipe?

How long until the stainless y pipe is available?
That is correct, they are still aluminized. When we run out of those and get the stainless ones in, then they will start shipping stainless.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
thank god the headers shipped! guys car has been in my garage for almost 2 months waiting on a set of these.

what if the headers where ordered through Speed Inc?
Their orders are all shipping at the same time as ours!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It is the same design collector as our older ceramic coated headers were. No spike.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Kooks have a quality venturi spike which is a spike created by the transition from the 4 primaries into the merge collector. I know this is anecdotal evidence and I'm not sure how much this translates to our application but Maryland Speed performed a dyno test measuring Kooks' headers for the 2010-2011 Camaro and the eBay Knock-offs. Both were 1 7/8's and both looked virtually identical on the outside but the main difference was the venturi spike. (Actually, the eBay headers had a poorly constructed venturi spike). On the same car, same day, the Kooks headers and eBay headers made the same peak power but under the curve the Kooks headers picked up 5HP/8TQ.
I knew about spikes, I just didn't realize the Kooks had one and if TSP's had come with one. But, for only a 5hp/8tq loss under the curve, i don't mind saving $500-ish bucks.

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It is the same design collector as our older ceramic coated headers were. No spike.
Cool, thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I knew about spikes, I just didn't realize the Kooks had one and if TSP's had come with one. But, for only a 5hp/8tq loss under the curve, i don't mind saving $500-ish bucks.
In the back to back test above between the Kooks and ebay headers, both headers has collector spikes. The ebay header had a poorly constructed spike.

To really quantify the gains from having a spike, you'd need to do another test comparing the Kooks header to one without the spike, such as the TSP headers being discussed here.

I think you'll find the spike helps more than you think.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
In the back to back test above between the Kooks and ebay headers, both headers has collector spikes. The ebay header had a poorly constructed spike.

To really quantify the gains from having a spike, you'd need to do another test comparing the Kooks header to one without the spike, such as the TSP headers being discussed here.

I think you'll find the spike helps more than you think.
If anybody wants to bring their favorite 4th Gen F-body header with a velocity spike down, we'll back to back engine dyno test it for everybody

We did do the test on our 2010 Camaro headers versus a competitor's 1 7/8" (same primary size as ours) header with a velocity spike on our Dynojet chassis dyno. It was a very popular brand, full stainless, and we used their X-pipe as well. I'd have to dig for the graphs, but I will tell you ours made about 2hp better at peak, and .5-1hp and ftlb better from the hit all the way up under the curve. Again, we did use their X-pipe as well, but this is a very popular company that everyone loves their product for the 2010+ cars! Now I'm ready to do the engine dyno test because we can eliminate the X-pipe variable and just swap headers

Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

If anybody wants to bring their favorite 4th Gen F-body header with a velocity spike down, we'll back to back engine dyno test it for everybody

We did do the test on our 2010 Camaro headers versus a competitor's 1 7/8" (same primary size as ours) header with a velocity spike on our Dynojet chassis dyno. It was a very popular brand, full stainless, and we used their X-pipe as well. I'd have to dig for the graphs, but I will tell you ours made about 2hp better at peak, and .5-1hp and ftlb better from the hit all the way up under the curve. Again, we did use their X-pipe as well, but this is a very popular company that everyone loves their product for the 2010+ cars! Now I'm ready to do the engine dyno test because we can eliminate the X-pipe variable and just swap headers
Now that would be an awesome test! I always wanted to see, given the same primary size, how a slip-on merge collector compares to a merge collector with a velocity spike. However, couldn't you guys foot the bill? Consider it an investment. After all, if you can prove there is no or minimal gains of a velocity spike, that would mean an increase in demand for your headers.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Now that would be an awesome test! I always wanted to see, given the same primary size, how a slip-on merge collector compares to a merge collector with a velocity spike. However, couldn't you guys foot the bill? Consider it an investment. After all, if you can prove there is no or minimal gains of a velocity spike, that would mean an increase in demand for your headers.
At some point we might. We're back-logged on R&D enough right now that unless someone brings a set for us to test in person, it might not be done for months and months though

Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt will you guys post here when the Stainless ORYS will be available?
And just off the top of your head, any eta on those? I cant imagine buying one w/out the other in 304...fwiw.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

At some point we might. We're back-logged on R&D enough right now that unless someone brings a set for us to test in person, it might not be done for months and months though
Then it makes your initial offer sound like a bluff.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Came in Friday!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Then it makes your initial offer sound like a bluff.
Tell you what, as long as you come down to witness it in person, I'll put aside all other engine dyno testing for that day just for this test. Deal?

We've got nothing to hide. We test everything we sell and know exactly the power our products make! Let me know when you're ready and I'll cover the cost of the competitor headers and all.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guitar

Came in Friday!
So jealous...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs down

That's too bad -- who would want stainless steel headers, but something lesser for their catted Y?

I have not heard any plans to make our catted Y in stainless, but that's not to say it will never happen.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Order placed for headers Matt, to zip 39466. PM sent too.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
That's too bad -- who would want stainless steel headers, but something lesser for their catted Y?
AGREED. When I (eventually) buy headers, it'll be headers & catted Y-pipe together. It'll be all stainless steel.

I'm very interested in the dyno results comparing headers with and without the merge spike.

Quick Reply: any news on texas speed headers