Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Smile Engine Build

So i took my Z28 to Tick performance today. I getting 799 Heads , LS6 Intake 04 Z06 cam, lifters timing chain and all the rest to go with it. Right now it's a 98 LS1. I'm also putting in a 2600-2800 Torque converter. Two questions. Do I really need a Tune with these mods and will I need a Transmission Cooler? Any Thoughts? In essence I'm going from a stock 98 LS1 to an 04 Z06.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say defiantly a tune and i believe when getting a torque converter you are better off getting the cooler to so it lasts better. sounds like a nice setup tho, def post up some pix and let us know how the car runs after
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you are paying to have it done you might as well get everything out of it you can.

X2 on a trans cooler.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If you are paying to have it done you might as well get everything out of it you can.

X2 on a trans cooler.
Well the tune will be an extra $400 if I really need it. and what should i expect to pay for a trans cooler if I do the install myself? Thanx for the reply.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you need a tune. Yes you need a trans cooler, I would suggest a larger converter as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Could they load in a tune from a Z06 vette because that's basically what you have. I don't know what the difference would be between a stock Z06 tune and a dyno tune, given the Z06 never came with a auto.

I'm going to ask this because I'm sure someone will but probably not this nice. Why did you decide to go with the stock Z06 cam and not an aftermarket cam? Again I'm not bashing at all just asking the question.

Are you planning on any other mods in the near future?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Could they load in a tune from a Z06 vette because that's basically what you have. I don't know what the difference would be between a stock Z06 tune and a dyno tune, given the Z06 never came with a auto.

I'm going to ask this because I'm sure someone will but probably not this nice. Why did you decide to go with the stock Z06 cam and not an aftermarket cam? Again I'm not bashing at all just asking the question.

Are you planning on any other mods in the near future?
It's a long story....the car has a ton of miles on it and really i'm happy now with the performance that it had from the factory. It just did not have the power it used to so I thought i would change the heads ya know new valves. Then I started looking at how would be the best way for me to remove the heads. I myself am not taking this out from the bottom in my garage and that seemed the best way. So I made the call and talked with Tick and they said the best way would be from the bottom engine and trans. So I made an appointment and they now have the car. Being that the engine and trans are coming out I said replace the cam because I will do the lifters too, Like I said the car has a ton of miles on it but still runs good. Then I thought while the trans is out I really want a new converter because this one (not the original) has over 150,000 miles on it. That's the jist of it. I'm not looking for a RACE Car. I just want to be OK on the highway.When i went to the converter shop I just wanted a good stock converter but when the owner gave me a tour and a better understanding of what goes on inside the converter i opted for a slightly better converter, Real Nice guy. So after asking questions here about all the things I am putting into my car and having been bashed on every one of my opinions and telling a Select few people what I think of them here I am, soon to be real happy with my car again. Any more mods I doubt it, maybe if my exhaust system falls out the bottom of the car I will get some headers but I have no plans for that right now. and by the way Thanx for being one of the Polite people.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you know exactly what you want. I wouldn't let other people talk you into a significantly larger stall if you don't want it. I have a 3200 and it IS a noticable difference from driving a stock car. A 2800 or so like you said would keep it closer to stock while keeping from having to stand on the brakes from the slightly bigger cam than stock you are looking at.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mamead
Sounds like you know exactly what you want. I wouldn't let other people talk you into a significantly larger stall if you don't want it. I have a 3200 and it IS a noticable difference from driving a stock car. A 2800 or so like you said would keep it closer to stock while keeping from having to stand on the brakes from the slightly bigger cam than stock you are looking at.
Yes,even though what i like is a far cry from a lot of the gearheads here I am getting a little excited awaiting the completion of my build. This is the 2nd time Tick has worked on my car and he is only the 2nd person that has touched my car since I bought it in November 1997. I do all of my own work because Most the the Parts Changers out there don't have a clue.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Yes,even though what i like is a far cry from a lot of the gearheads here I am getting a little excited awaiting the completion of my build. This is the 2nd time Tick has worked on my car and he is only the 2nd person that has touched my car since I bought it in November 1997. I do all of my own work because Most the the Parts Changers out there don't have a clue.
We definitely appreciate your trust (and your business!)
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
We definitely appreciate your trust (and your business!)
You da man!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

OK So i spoke to the Tuner up there and he wants $500 and he will put it on a Dyno don't need that and DO NOT have that kind of cash. What can I do to maybe get a tune put in for the 04 Z06 vette engine and get the SES lite for the EGR tuned out? I live in the Charlotte NC area is there anyone local that can do this for me at a Reasonable price?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the next best bet would be to get a mail order tune from someone like Frost.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the next best bet would be to get a mail order tune from someone like Frost.
I've read some bad things about mail order Tunes. Is Frost one of the Better ones. I have to ask this because I know NOTHING about Computer Tunes. No disrespect intended to anyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

#1 for tick Performance, got the car back today and it runs Great! I had the 2600 Stall converter put in and really if I had it to do over i wouldn't. It's good for getting out of the hole but i'm not really interested in that too much. I'm just Glad I didn't listen to all the people that said go larger.

Quick Reply: Engine Build