Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Signs of an exhaust leak

I think I may have an exhaust leak that is pretty noticeable, on my muffler the pass exit pipe where it meets the muffler bent and it was hanging but I slightly fixed it but it's not coming from behind the car so that's ruled out. Still have stock everything but an axle back. It sounded like I had a hole in one of my pipes but don't really have time to check everything out. Is having stock manifolds, cats and a Y with 110k miles it ok? I mean I have the normal pass tick but was wondering should I replace the whole system? Ive wanted a reason to do headers and a Y.

Oh I forgot that I've been smelling exhaust fumes while sitting at a light and its gotten strong over time. If anyone can make sense of this or my paragraph post up something. Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check for a leak by plugging your tailpipes for a couple seconds and looking under the car, the gases will find every small leak to get out and be pretty visible. Exhaust leaks also sound like crap too usually, though a small one might not be noticable. If you are smelling fumes, then that isn't a good thing.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tighten up those clamps and ensure the pipes are well seated...